iPhone vs. iPod touch?

I'm already an ATT wireless customer. If I buy the new iPhone and just swap out my SIM card without adding a data plan, will I essentially be getting an iPod touch + phone + additional features for $100 less than the touch? I realize I'll lose the 3G without the dataplan, but I'm mostly looking to replace my 5G iPod anyway. Flaws with this approach?

Favorite Answer

NO do not do this!!! The new and old iphones have to have an unlimited data plan because these phones are ALLWAYS using data (MB mega bites) if you switch you SIM card you will be getting charge for however MB you use until you get your bill I’m not sure if you are familiar with the data plans but its like another bill you have your voice plan which is minutes (starting at 450 minutes for $35) and then if you have a black berry or a palm (smart phones) you get a data plan (300 MB I think its like $25 or $30) so your total bill is around $60 before tax.

With the iphone because it always needs to download data they cant charge you for 1,000,000 MB you would be paying thousands of dollars so they have decided to charge you a flat rate of $20 on top of your bill for unlimited Data & 200 text messages. THIS is only with the old iphones Very Important!!! With the new iphones (3g technology) the phone will cost you cheaper if you get a new 2 year contract $200 or something around there instead of the old iphones which you had to pay $500 and also get a new 2 year contract… I know this is long but stay with me! I have an old iphone and I have the cheapest plan available which is the 450 minutes and the unlimited data plan that you have to get, I pay $60 or $71.43 with tax. If you get a new iphone your bill and you have the cheapest plan like I do your bill will be $70 without tax but the phone will be cheaper now because you are paying $10 more than what I pay after two years your will really be paying only $40 dollars more than me, and you didn’t had to cough up $500 all at once.

I love my iphone totally worth the $20 extra dollars I pay a month. The updates gives the phone new tools and tricks. You also pretty much have a GPS on it 2picksel camera and Internet anywhere you get signal. And it looks like the Internet on your computer not that crappy mobile one on other phones. Worth the money!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9972909-37.html?...

I have an iphone, and I would have to say the iphone is the better option, however, the finacial aspect is really the deciding factor. The iphone is a $200 from the start and $70-$100 a month depending on what you plan is. All Iphone plans require the data package which has unlimited internet. The iphone will get the internet pretty much everywhere you go unless you go in a solid building or go to the country or a cave. The ipod touch is $400+ from the get go and there is no month to month fee but there are charges when you purchase music from itunes and use the app store. The internet is essentially free if you already have it in your house they it will remain the same. Wifi is limited to your house and any place that has -FREE- wifi, which is very few. You want optimal internet use then the ipohone is the way to go, if its affordable. But, if you dont mind being restricted to your home then the ipod touch will work. The new iphone has wifi, the edge network and 3g. WiFi is of course WiFi. The edge network is the AT&T basic internet service. 3G is AT&T high speed internet. 3G is fast but currently 3G does not have a lot of coverage. The edge network has massive and works decent if you have a strong signal. I personally have not had any significant internet problems using the edge network, it can be slow sometimes. The ipod touch has a larger memory, 32gb where as the current iphone only has 16gb.

if you upgrade to the iphone 3g i think all plans offered to iphone 3g will have a data plan, similar to the 1gen iphone. So youll be getting a 3g device, ipod touch, gps, and a phone all in one; on thing thought if your swapping your old smatphone for an iphone or short time customer i think you might be paying $325 for the new iphone. check with att. Otherwise $199 for 8gig model or $299 for 16 gig model.

Source(s): cnet.com/apple.com/att.com

hey uhmm i say get the new iphone cuz yea its got everything the itouch has pluss all the phone features but for 100 less

I don't think that you can buy the iphone without buying the new plan but if you can, I would buy the iPhone too

I like iPhone