A few quetions to do with Psychology and ohio/pennsylvania colleges and universities??

Hello!

I want to become a psychologist and I have a few questions.

1) What are the best colleges and/or universities in Ohio (near Cleveland and/or Mentor) and Pennsylvania(near Albion, or very close to Ohio) to attend for psychology?

2) What courses does one have to take for the first two years of college if one wants to be a psychologist?

3) What would be the best degree to get( general psychology )?

4) How would I get that degree?

5)How much money do you think I'm going to need to go to college/university? (guestimating?)

6) any other information that you think could help me would be very nice as well!!!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to look at my question!

Have a lovely day!

<3<3

Favorite Answer

1. Two Northern Ohio schools that are good are Baldwin-Wallace and Case Western. Don't discount schools that are farther away though....a strong liberal arts background will help you as a psychology student (grad. schools love well-rounded liberal arts students)...some central Ohio schools to check out are Kenyon, Ohio Wesleyan, Denison, Wooster, and possibly Otterbein or Wittenberg.

2. If you are really sure that you want to go into psychology you should take an intro to psych class first semester of your freshman year; intro psych is usually the only pre-requisite for most upper level psych classes so you will be able to get started right away. Take as many psych classes as you like, but be warned, don't take more than two at a time...it can get hairy---there is always a lot of info. and memorization involved in psychology...make sure you balance it out with some easier classes.

3. As an undergraduate your only option in psychology is to get a B.S. (Bachelor of Science) or B.A. (Bachelor of Arts). Both are basically the same degree...and it all depends on the school you go to whether you have a choice. If you go to a liberal arts school you'll have a B.A. for sure. If you want to go to graduate school for a specific area of psychology, take as many classes related to that area as you possibly can. For example, I want to go into clinical psych take a class like counseling and psychotherapy or personality and assessment and back it up with some sort of sociology classes, etc. Find a good advisor who can help you make good choices and prepare you for your career/the rest of your education.

4. To be a practicing psychologist you need to get your B.S. or B.A...typically in psychology, but possibly in another related field. Your senior year you have to apply to graduate schools...most common approach is either a PsyD or PhD. That means 5-6 more years of school, which is well worth it.

5. It all depends on the type of school you go to...I strongly recommend a liberal arts school over a state school. A smaller school will allow you more opportunities for getting involved, doing research, having a strong mentor, etc. The school I go to is awesome...I have a good relationship with my professors, they are there to encourage me and I'm going to be starting independent research this coming school year (YAY!!!!). I have a pretty good scholarship but I'm still paying ~$28,000 a year for school (tuition where I go is slightly over $40,000). Grad school can be pricey too...but a lot of schools offer great incentives now---and they might even be willing to be extra nice if they want you---we had a recruiter talking to our department head last fall--they were offering grad students five years paid tuition, full health insurance, free housing, and a paid teaching assistant position, so look around.

6. Have fun with psychology, it is awesome! Dig into the material, find out what area you really like...and make friends with the professors that are interested in that subject matter. They can provide great resources, things to read, and general advice for school and life. They've been there and done it so they are a fountain of knowledge. Also, make friends with other students in the psych. department...older students can give you advice on getting through classes, can be tutors, etc. and having friends in your own year is great too--you can start study groups and go through all the stress together--support is great when you start freaking out about grad school, research, etc. Plus, making friends as an undergraduate will give you contacts in your field when you start your professional life.

Yay psychology!

http://www.apa.org/students/ <----this link is for the American Psychological Association student website...it's something fun to look at and is actually pretty helpful.

Good luck in your school search!!

Source(s): Third year psych. student at OWU!! Hopefully going to grad school for a PhD in clinical health psycholgy with a concentration in behavioral medicine.

Yup, Kuala Lumpur(KL) is a contemporary town. In truth, it is the capital of Malaysia wherein such a lot of worldwide parties had been held annualy. I guess it is a contemporary town. Even it is not up with Tokyo or New York, but it has tons of best matters to present. You made a correct determination to discuss with KL this yr bcos it is Visit Malaysia 2007 yr. You'll revel in your keep for certain. In case u r watching for position to loosen up your brain, you'll be able to cross to waterfalls, motel at highlands, and seashores too.. They are all similar to one million to two hours force from the guts of KL town.Try this hyperlink to get to understand KL larger. Happy vacations!!