Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 decade ago

Learning Guitar, need help. I cant afford lessions, but love playing anyway!!?

Can anyone help tell me what these mean?

---------------

h - hammer-on

p - pull-off

b - bend

pb - pre-bend

r - bend release (if no number after the r, then release immediately)

/\ - slide into or out of (from/to "nowhere")

s - legato slide

S - shift slide

<n> - natural harmonic

[n] - artificial harmonic

n(n) - tapped harmonic

~ - vibrato

tr - trill

T - tap

TP - trem. picking

PM - palm muting

\n/ - tremolo bar dip; n = amount to dip

\n - tremolo bar down

n/ - tremolo bar up

/n\ - tremolo bar inverted dip

= - hold bend; also acts as connecting device for hammers/pulls

<> - volume swell (louder/softer)

x - on rhythm slash represents muted slash

o - on rhythm slash represents single note slash

Misc Legend

-----------

| - bar

|| - double bar

||o - repeat start

o|| - repeat end

*| - double bar (ending)

: - bar (freetime)

$ - Segno

& - Coda

Tempo markers - <E/E./Q/Q./H/H.> = BPM(8/16=s8/s16)

Favorite Answer

Well you seem to have copied the whole list from someplace and it's a LONG one, grasshopper!

I'll give you a mini head start but you'll have to do your own homework like the rest of us self-taught guitarists, and now you even have the advantage of YouTube where you can see guys do all these things and explain them at length, some good, some bad. Also, use Google, you can find all these explained.

Hammer-on is a technique where you don't pluck a string but produce a sound by a quick hit on the freatboard, rapidly and strongly pressing the right note.

Pull-off is a technique where you produce the sound by quickly releasing a string so as to pluck it off the fretboard at the same time, with the same finger that held it.

Bend is a technique where you hold a note and while holding it either push the string upwards or downwards against the fretboard so as to obtain a slowly rising pitch.

Pre bend is the same thing only you bend the string before playing the note, so when you play it, it is in fact higher than the pitch of the "unbent" note on the same fret, and then you can slowly return to the original pitch and get the downward glissando effect.

And now you search for yourself. Hunting for the right information is half the fun and if you don't have the dedication to do it, you don't want to play bad enough anyway.

ultimateguitar.com has some good lessons and tabs for songs that you can play to (and ratings so you can ensure you get the best quality tabs.) Plus, there for free

I learnt that way. Slowly, but I still learnt.

The key is to enjoy yourself, and let go when your playing your guitar. Also try something maybe only a little harder, because then you will improve. If you try to learn the most difficult song in the whole world, it just gets fustrating.

Source(s): Self experience

Hi,

To get Letters from Nowhere 2 for free you can click here on the link: http://bit.ly/1pnRvrH

With this link you can get the full version completely free.

Classic arcade style games can be enjoyed by the whole family especially the kids.

Try it out

Hey,

I am sure the best guitar course available online is this one http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=554.

I bught it myself (very affordable btw) and I'm really learning a lot. The site has thousands of videos presented with a step by step approach ideal for beginners (it's also good for intermediate/advanced players)