Computer will not start?

Yesterday, om my son's Dell desktop, I installed two new memory sticks, then I was installing the Norton Anti virus software. Once the Anti virus software was loaded, a box popped up that said I needed to restart the computer. I clicked on restart. Now it will not start. It is running, but will on come on? Any ideas?

I know this is going to sound stupid, how do I boot in safe mode?

I can't get to the safe mode or in to uninstall anything. The monitor will turn on but right away it says "entering power safe mode" I have checked all the cables, everything seems to be connected properly?

Favorite Answer

try booting in safe mode, and uninstalling nav, if that doesn't work. try removing one of the sticks of RAM, do you get any error messages at all ?

first of all, don't get rid of Norton.

Free AV software is NOT better than constantly developed products.The freeware usually gets outdated and the updates are usually late....it's like gambling with your PC's health...like drinking from a lake....

Try the f8 at startup, uninstall the av and try a normal boot.

If that fails, remove one memory stick at a time and see if that helps. If you don't have table free capabilities on the mother board, make sure you have a stick in the first slot. A memory stick might be bad..if that fails, put all the old memory back in and then install Norton......then try the new memory AFTER norton is already established.

Good Luck

Boot in safe mode by pressing F8 and remove NAV.

Source(s): HTH

first, i agree with the dude above...avg anti-virus all the way!

to boot in safe mode, just turn off the computer...while it's booting up, you'll see it says press F8 (or F2 or F10 depending on your compu) to enter startup options (or something like that)...from there, just choose "safe mode"

hope it helps

After trying all the above (and below) tips, uninstall Norton and install AVG AntiVirus (www.download.com). It is much better than Norton and it is free.

make sure the disk you used to instal the antivirus is removed from the disk drive while restarting.

when your computer start then press key "F8" so, you see

some option for start your computer

you select "safemode"

so when your computer start on safe mode then open

controlpanel\addremove programs

and find antivirus and remove it

and then start compurer again

if not start then mail me at " pareshnp4u@yahoo.co.in"

ok bye

just try couples of times then use the safe mood

just press master power button on your casing..it safe..

i think in ur antivirous disc it might has virous... that's why it happens...