Is it illegal for the wrong vendor/business to cash a check I mailed to them?

I accidentally mailed my mortgage check to my credit card company. The cc company cashed the check even though it was clearly not written to them. The names are not even remotely similar. I have a copy of the check and the stamp from the cc company. It's over $800. I pay $100 to the cc company every month,... show more I accidentally mailed my mortgage check to my credit card company. The cc company cashed the check even though it was clearly not written to them. The names are not even remotely similar. I have a copy of the check and the stamp from the cc company. It's over $800. I pay $100 to the cc company every month, never more. I know it was so dumb of me but I mailed this check 2 days after having to put my beloved 13 year old dog down. Can the cc company cash a check ot written to them?