Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 decade ago

Do I need to get an agent or manager before contacting record companies?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

I'm getting into the country music business and I was wondering if I should get an agent or manager before sending anything to record companies... Oh and I have 1 or 2 songs that I wrote myself that could be on a demo cd but should I do karaoke song too?

Favorite Answer

The answer is NO.

Before you head to the record companies, you've got a lot of work to do first. While you don't need an agent to get what you want, you do need to be a desirable musician.

So, what does that mean? Get your music out there. Get some fans. Play shows, definitely, but also get your music out on the internet.

Here's a good article on how to get started

http://www.knowthemusicbiz.com/index.php/BIZ-BLOG/...

Hope it helps!

You should really start playing them live. After a little bit of time, managers & agents should come into the picture if you're creating a buzz.

You should really contact everyone you can think of if you think you're sitting on a golden single though. There's no harm in that.

I would contact a record company if I was only interested in selling the song for another artist to use.

A 4 song demo iz what iz required , plus a promo pak. Yes , it would b best 2 snatch an agent- 4 recommendation & such.

Source(s): Uzed 2 book out a band called 'Lost Dog' out of Garland,Tx.