Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

why do we move the tassel on the graduation cap to the other side after we graduate?

• Mh
    Favorite Answer

Traditionally, the moving of the tassel at graduation is called, "turning the tassel" or "the turning of the tassel ceremony." It symbolizes one's transition from candidate to graduate. Standard protocol in the US dictates that the tassel be worn on the right side of one's mortarboard at commencement and then, during the ceremony, moved to the left side. Teachers and administrators at commencement place their tassels on the left.

Source(s): wiki answers
  • buchta

Graduation Tassel

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): move tassel graduation cap side graduate: https://biturl.im/bcJyJ

The right side is an undergraduate students and the left side is a graduate students.

The movement of the tassel is symbollic of you changing from one group to the other.

In College this moving of the tassel does not usually happen and it is a custm prevolent mainly in the US.

• Susan

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/1PA6G

More than you wanted to know: For all graduations the tassel moves from right to left. EXCEPTION: If you are getting a Masters degree, it starts on the left and moves to the right.

What Is A Tassel

• lori

Tradition. Crossing over from student to graduate.

Source(s): graduated a few times

That's a good question.

I just graduated and thought the same thing.

I'm pretty sure my entire class did it wrong though if it's supposed to be from right to left. Woops.

• kje!

to signify that you moved on with one part of your life and are starting a new one

awh, they guy i like is graduating right now!!!!!

i'm going to miss him so much!

I don't know what it is suposed to symbolize but I just follwed what they said to do.