Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 1 decade ago

Breathing techniques for singing.?

Hello.

I need some really good breathing techniques for singing.

I can sing quite well according to my friends, and my music teacher.

But i struggle abit , because i have to keep taking breaths to often.

So do you have any breathing excersies or something to help me to hold notes longer and sing without getting out of breath easily.

thanks a lot.

x 10 points best answer.

Best Answer

Basically, what you want to do is be able to take the fullest breath you can, then control how the air is expelled while singing. The end result should be a steady, consistent stream of air moving past your vocal chords.

The first step is taking a good singers breath. You want to fill your lungs from the bottom up. With practice this can actually be done without the sucking sound so often heard with a deep breath. What you want to do is release your back muscles and rib cage. When you take your breath, you should be able to feel your mid-section inflate and the top of your stomach will move out. Your shoulders and neck should not move at all with this breath.

The picture to illustrate would be if you place an empty bottle below water, and squeeze all the air out. When you release the bottle, it automatically fills with water as it resumes its' normal shape. Your lungs work exactly the same way. You do not need to force air in, if you open your chest as described above, air will fill the void. With practice, this can be done in 1/2 count or less, just by releasing the muscles. This is also what is meant when a director or coach asks for a "silent breath."

The exercise that worked for me when learning was to place a belt loosely around my mid-section, and feel it tighten as I take my breath. This can also be felt just by placing your hands on your front and on your back and feeling the release. The belt exercise helped me get the most out of my breath, but now I just use my hands to check myself.

Once you have the air in your lungs, the next step is letting the air out in a controlled, steady, consistent stream. This is where your diaphragm comes into play. Your diaphragm is a muscle just below your rib cage between your ribs and your stomach. It works naturally when you use it, but unless you train yourself, it will do very little. All you really need to do is tighten your stomach like your are getting ready to lift something heavy. If you watch a weight lifter, before he starts a lift he takes a breath, then tightens his back , ribs and stomach to support his lift. Same thing for a singer, just not as strenuous. Tighten your stomach and let the air out in a controlled fashion, and you are successfully using your diaphragm for singing.

Here is the exercise I use to work on my breathing. If you do this exercise enough, you will develop muscle memory so you do not need to think about your breathing when singing.

Take a breath, then blow everything out, then take another good singers breath and hold it a couple of seconds, then in a controlled hiss, let it out on a count of 8. By the count of 8, you should have expelled all your air. Breathe it out evenly so it is all gone at the end of 8. Do this 4 times. Next, repeat the exercise, only hiss out on a count of 12, four times. Work on this for a week, and slowly increase the count by 4 until you can hiss out your note to a count of 16 without dying. You know you are there when you can get to 20.

If you spend 5 to 10 minutes a day on this exercise, it will become naturally as a habit in about two weeks. Then you just need to check yourself by running the exercise as part of your warm up routine whenever you sing, but once singing, you will not need to think about it again.

At some point after mastering the basics, the singer will probably want to hire a live voice coach for further vocal training. A good voice teacher can take the student further, insuring that

he or she will be able to sing a song with power and confidence. Some students will be satisfied with singing for themselves, family and friends - while others may with to pursue further

voice training with the possibility of a future singing career. Where do you fit in?

Available exclusively on this website, The Superior Singing Method system is my brand new, multimedia home training program designed to give you the foundations of my vocal training and singing method. It’s like being at my studio learning exactly how to sing and train your voice – but from the comfort of home.

Spread out across 8 modules covering all the key areas of your voice, the program contains everything you need to take your singing ability to the next level, including:

Over 50 singing lesson videos, designed to give you full control over your voice and show you exactly how to perform each and every vocal technique.

31 dynamic vocal exercise audios that are specifically designed to challenge each aspect of your voice to you get a complete vocal training experience while expanding your range, improving tone, agility, pitch, power and vocal control.

Daily vocal exercise routines so that you will know the exact steps that I created in order to improve the right parts of your voice, at the right time.

Click Here : http://singingtip.info

http://youtu.be/olih7uI62KU

Youtube thumbnail

If you have any questions please send a mail to : singingmethod@bestproductsonline.info

When you take a breath, hold your stomach lightly just to concentrate on filling your lungs. Then let the air out evenly and softly while singing a note.

Advnturer has given you great exercise. Additionally, I would like to leave you with an exercise I call The Balloon Squat. It will help to reinforce many of the habits advnturer has mentioned, in addition to further strengthening your respiratory system. You can watch it here.

http://www.vocalliberation.com/articles/singing-br...

Furthermore, if you still find you are having trouble sustaining long phrases, you might have incomplete cord closure. If your vocal cords aren't sufficiently resisting the air flow and converting the air into sound energy, you will end up using excessive air and thus running out of breath prematurely.

If you pretend like you're talking while your stomach is hurting or like you're scolding a young child, that should activate more efficient closure for you, enabling you to sustain notes longer. I demonstrate how to do all of this in Lesson 4 of my "How to Build a Stronger Mix" series. Sign up for it for FREE on my site below.

http://www.vocalliberation.com

Source(s): I'm a voice teacher

One tip is to lay on the floor then place 3 books on your stomach next take a deep breath and hold it for 5 seconds then release and relax. Repeat this for 5 minuets. You can do this every day and it will help.

You have to keep your breath 'low', meaning near your stomach. You can practice this by simply dropping your jaw (do not take a deep breath! It doesn't work, your breath will be way to high, which will make your voice sound forced) Than sing a few notes. When practicing more often, you'll find you can hold notes longer. It worked for me, I have singing lessons. Success.

Try some yoga. It focuses on practicing deep breathing from the diaphragm, not to mention it's great exercise and good for stress.

Singing is something that everybody can learn and improve. Of course, some are more naturally skilled than others, but even a poor voice can be overcome by dedication, practice, and more practice. Even if you're content to sing in the shower, there are some things you can do to improve your voice. This is probably the best online course to improve your singing skills https://tr.im/jaSVf

Your golden voice will be ringing out in no time!

• Axel

Work on your breathing by trying an exercise we used to do in my jazz class.

Lay flat on your back with your hands behind your head and legs straight out. Vegin by breathing in for four counts, out for two counts. Then do in for four out for four, then out for eight, sixteen, thirty six, and finally fifty. It helps you learn to space out your breathing.