Can I use clear silicone intead of plumbers putty?

I am replacing an exisitng kitchen faucet. The instructions for my Glacier Bay faucet say to use a bead of plumbers putty around the inside bottom edge of the deck plate. I am assuming this is to keep water and gunk from getting between the faucet plate and the sink. I do not have any or know what it is. Can I... show more I am replacing an exisitng kitchen faucet. The instructions for my Glacier Bay faucet say to use a bead of plumbers putty around the inside bottom edge of the deck plate. I am assuming this is to keep water and gunk from getting between the faucet plate and the sink. I do not have any or know what it is. Can I just use clear silicone? It comes in a big tube like caulk.
Update: The silcone i have is for kitchen and bath and is mildew resistant. I shouldn't have to wait for set up if i am installing a faucet???
Update 2: What do you mean if i have to repair the faucet. I will just replace it again. I have used silicone before for other things and it is more like a permanent temporary thing. I mean...It is permanent until i want it gone and it usually justs comes up with a razor blade or pulls off...Am i missing something. I... show more What do you mean if i have to repair the faucet. I will just replace it again. I have used silicone before for other things and it is more like a permanent temporary thing. I mean...It is permanent until i want it gone and it usually justs comes up with a razor blade or pulls off...Am i missing something. I think I will just use the silicone.