Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

hand shaking etiquette after blowing/picking your nose?

what rule of etiquette should you follow when shaking hands with someone after you have picked your nose and before you have had an opportunity to wash your hands? Would it be rude to decline to shake or should you just do it and not worry about it?

after you have blowed OR picked your nose

Favorite Answer

You should never pick your nose most rude. I would not want to shake hands with you if I knew you did such a thing.

• ?

If you blow your nose into a napkin then Id say it is okay. If you just picked your nose then decline and say my hands are real dirty. Who picks their nose in public when they know they will be meeting new people??

• Give them a fist bump, instead. LOL It may not be cool anymore, but at least you're not spreading your germs.

Or feign illness and excuse yourself from shaking hands:

"It's so nice to meet you! Forgive me for not shaking hands. I am coming down with something, and trying not to share!" and chuckle.

see that's what i'm always wondering about when i meet someone. i don't know where their hands have been. so i end up heading to the ladie's room to wash my hands afterwards.

to answer your question, i would most certainly wash my hands after i blew my nose. i'm kind of a germ-o-phobe.

• aaron

it's best to clean the nose in bathroom . if one has a cold & has to wipe&blow the nose , they can always say ,' sorry i've a cold '& refrain from handshakes . people will understand verywell

Acknowledge them and excuse yourself from shaking hands.

say 'one minute' as you put some hand sanitizer in your palm 'I just finish blowing my nose/sneezing and i don't want to share all that love

dripping - no

moist - yes