Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

my mom has type 1 diabetes?

She is on the pump but it wasnt working right so she took it off. That night she went into shock from "low blood sugar", but she didn't take any insulin. Can someone help me try to figure out how someone with diabetes, a disese that raises blood sugar, can have a blood sugar of 44 without taking any insulin?

Best Answer

A couple different things come to mind. One is listed above (Ding's comment about accidentally delivering insulin twice). It could also be caused by "insulin on board", which is insulin that was delivered and actively working in her system before she disconnected. Also, if she's still in her honeymoon period, she has some working islet cells which means she's still making some insulin.

Another possibility might be if she was diagnosed as type 1 but is in fact type 2. And finally (and this would only be applicable if she was JUST switched over to the pump in the last day or two), the last day they ween you off lantus (or NPH) there is some left in your system. These last two are longshots but they're possibilities nonetheless.

She probably already knows this, but if she leaves the pump off she'll make ketones. That's a whole new set of problems, so call your pump liaison and endocrine right away.

1

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?QMgi

2

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?aKhI
  • ?

I am writing to tell you what an incredible impact these methods had on my life! I have had type 2 diabetes for 27 years. For me, the worst part of this horrible disease is the severe pain I constantly get in my feet. The pain is so bad that I avoid standing and walking as much as possible. I've got to tell you that within the first month, my feet stopped hurting altogether and I can now walk totally pain free.

Believe it or not, I even danced at my niece's wedding last month, something I have not done in a many years. I've been following the book for six months now and my blood sugar is well within normal range. I feel great!

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

Was she fiddling around with the pump thinking it wasn't working and re-bolusing herself when in reality it was working fine? If she had been high earlier and got impatient that her BG's weren't coming down after a couple of hours, she may have assumed the pump wasn't working and re-dosed herself, but in fact maybe she just ate something fatty earlier that kept her BG high for a while, then the backlog of insulin caught up and made her low. I've done this before, that's why I bring it up. She sounds like she needs some pump training badly...you don't just take off the pump because you think it's not working. If you take it off you need to put a new infusion set in again. You can't just walk around without any insulin being infused into you. Call her doctor and get her set up for some pump training with a diabetes educator, or she will get herself in trouble!

Source(s): Type 1 for 24 years, happy pumper for 5
  • hava

These pranayam exercises will help control the diabetes and the side effects.Build up the timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume later.The benefits will be noticed in weeks as the sugar level is checked daily.Over the long tern the diabetes will be in full control and the medicine can be reduced in consultation with the doctor.

Anulom Vilom –

Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril

then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril

then -keeping the left nostril closed deep breath-in through right nostril

then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.

This is one cycle of anulom vilom.

Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).

Children under 15 years - do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.

You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day)

Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.

Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Also everyday press the centre point of the palm of your hand 40 times with the thumb and press the tips of all fingers 40 times each.

Cure Diabetes Problems Naturally : http://www.DiabetesGoFar.com/Service

Ding Ding and Mozz are correct and I agree with them!! And so not to repeat over and over, but to add to the seriousness of this I want to say she does need to be retrained on the pump and talk to her Dr. about this. Every diabetic has times when we are sick of the daily grind, but the answer is not to give up. We must continue to endure till there is a cure.

Source(s): Type 1 diabteic, Pumper

Did she eat correctly during this time? How long had the pump been off when she got this reading?

If she didn't eat right, even not enough protein, the sugar level can drop.