I am trying to rebuild my credit. What is the best department store credit card for me?

Favorite Answer

If you have bad credit then it will be very hard for you to get a department store credit card, those are VERY selective. Try Capital One instead.

• KIMBERLY W5 years agoReport

A depatment store won't give a stellar credit score. Any revloving account can be a stepping stone to that perfect credit you desire. As long as you keep your balnace under 30% and pay in full or on time every month, then you can aquire other traditional credit card. Dont be afraid DCC.

If you are trying to rebuild your credit I would not recommend a department store card. They do not help your credit. I made this mistake and once I found out they were actually hurting me I got rid of them and my credit score shot straight up! Capital One is the best to start out with. I got my first card through them while I was trying to build my credit years ago. As long as you stay on top of your payments and keep your balance low you will be on your way to building your credit.

Source(s): Personal Experience

I had a financial adviser meet with me one time and he said that there wasn't a good credit card from a dept store. He said that if you are trying to get good credit, you should always use a major credit card company. Also he said that you shouldn't just put a little on the credit card and pay it off every month, but to leave a little bit on there, and make all payments on time and more than the minimum due, cause that will build good credit quicker! But as for the dept store cards, he said that even if you pay all payments on time and use it wisely that they hurt your credit score more than help it!

Our credit isn't great right now either, so we want to work on building it back up. Orchard Bank (subsidiary of HSBC) gave us a card. Interest rate isn't too bad, although they only did a limit of $400....but that's okay....it is just to rebuild credit. We use it periodically for small purchases and pay it off within a couple of months each time.

Department store credit card not necessary is easier to get. You need to detail your situations so we can better answer your question, and help you to get better with your credit score.

you don't build your credit by getting a department store credit card. your credit score is based on WAY more than just credit cards, for instance home loans,

email securityonefinancial@gmail.com

or visit

http://www.securityonefinancial.com

• Micki

Capital One or Orchard Bank cards are good for rebuilding your credit. Just keep these current!