? asked in 科學及數學化學 · 1 decade ago

GROUP I OXIDE

Why the basicity of Group I and II oxides increase down the group???

Rating
    Favorite Answer

This is an A-level question.

For smaller Group I and II metal ions, their charge density is higher. They can polarize the oxide ions to a certain extent. Such metal oxides have considerable characters of covalent (non-metal) compounds. {Pls be reminded that typical non-metal oxides are acidic.}

As moving down the group, the size of orbitals increases drastically. Although the no. of electrons is increasing, the charge density of larger Group I and II metal ions is in fact decreasing. They will polarize the oxide ions to a smaller extent. Such metal oxides will behave like typical ionic compounds. {Pls be reminded that typical metal oxides are basic/alkaline.}