Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in 科學及數學化學 · 1 decade ago

GROUP I OXIDE

Why the basicity of Group I and II oxides increase down the group???

1 Answer

Rating
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is an A-level question.

For smaller Group I and II metal ions, their charge density is higher. They can polarize the oxide ions to a certain extent. Such metal oxides have considerable characters of covalent (non-metal) compounds. {Pls be reminded that typical non-metal oxides are acidic.}

As moving down the group, the size of orbitals increases drastically. Although the no. of electrons is increasing, the charge density of larger Group I and II metal ions is in fact decreasing. They will polarize the oxide ions to a smaller extent. Such metal oxides will behave like typical ionic compounds. {Pls be reminded that typical metal oxides are basic/alkaline.}

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.