Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

about diabetes pumps...?

I am looking into getting a pump. I have come to the conclusion that I either want a Animas 2020 or a Minimed Paradigm. Which do you recomend? How much do they cost? (My insurance covers 4000$). What is a "set"? Do they hurt? Any information/websites/opinions are greatly appreciated. Also, how do pumps react in/after contact with water

Favorite Answer

They each have an area of expertise. Animas can deliver in .01 increments, making you able to tweak your BG better than all others. Minimed is compatible to the Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Insurance companies are beginning to uniformly cover this program, so if you hold a Minimed when this happens in your state, and you want to use it, it'll be a matter of activating the program instead of switching pumps. CGMS is a subcutaneous, wireless titanium insert that continually feeds blood glucose readings to your insulin pump.

They're both pretty easy to navigate. Neither has a superb customer service department. So in the end, it just depends on which area of expertise piques your interest.

Every 2-3 days you need to change your site with the pump. You use a new 'set' each time. It hurts more than needles, but the tradeoff is the frequency. And, like needles, you get used to it. There's also numbing creams available by prescription, and they don't interfere with insulin delivery.

You can get'em wet but you can't submerge them in water. Pumps are NOT waterproof... and watch out because they advertise them like they are. One vendor's informational DVD showed a kid coming out of the pool with his pump on. Damn near chose that pump; boy was I surprised to learn otherwise. They're only water resistant - remember, these people are in sales! But they're very easy to disconnect and you have options when you want to swim. You can return to needles for the day - some people go back to needles for the season. Or you can disconnect/reconnect every hour or so to bolus.

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?dAFD

2

Source(s): My Diabetes Cured Completely : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?UZyK

I have a Minimed Paradigm, because that's what my insurance preferred and it has the companion Continuous Glucose Monitoring System you can get (insurance companies are just starting to pay for them, it's a slow process). Minimed is more popular, but some people like Animas, too. The "set" is an infusion set, which consists of tubing that connects to the insulin reservoir vial, and the other end connects to you via a small piece of tubing called a cannula, which is inserted into your subcutaneous tissue with a needle, then the needle is pulled out, leaving the tubing inside you. If you use an inserter device (worth it!), it's uncomfortable the moment you inject it, and then a little bit irritated for a couple of minutes, but then you won't feel it at all. The Minimed pumps are not recommended for sustained water exposure like showering or swimming, but you can get it wet briefly. Not sure what the Animas is like. It doesn't matter, though, you just disconnect it before you go into the water, it's easy, and then hook it back up when you get out. They'll show you how to do that in your training. I think the Paradigm runs about $6200, but the they can tell you what to expect and they'll help you work with the insurance company to get as much back as possible.

Source(s): Type 1 for 24 years, happy pumper for 5

My son has an older version of the Animas pump. We love it, here is why:

It gives microdoses every 3 minutes (most others give your hourly dose in one or two lump sums)

It is water-proof or water-resistant (to be honest, he takes it off when he showers or swims just in case, but at least we don't have to worry about accidentally getting it wet)

I have been incredibly happy with customer service

Late this summer, the 2020 will be able to talk to the Ultra One-Touch meter (I think it is that one) and later this year will go with a continous glucose monitor (Minimed already has one, but supposedly it doesn't last as long in between site changes)

It has a built in food database that you can customize for carbs

It is cute and comes in blue (my son's favorite color)

We tried the Minimed when we were deciding and I am sure that it is great too. But I don't think we would go with the other brands - just not enough good reviews. Plus Animas and Minimed have been doing it for longer and are doing the most research (and are the richest no doubt)

The "set" or site is the part that actually goes on your body. There is a small cannula that stays underneath the skin and a sticky part on top. Every 2-3 days you have to change the site. It is a bigger needle than those on syringes and my son says it hurts occasionally (depending on where we put it - tush or belly). We sometimes use a numbing cream called Emla or ice to numb the area before insertion.

BTW, that is the expensive part of the pump. Our insurance covers them, but without coverage cost something like $35 a site (every 2-3 days).

I suggest calling Animas and Minimed and getting their local reps to come and visit you. They will each bring a sample and you might even be able to try out a site before you decide. They will also be able to sell their product to you. The reps are often people worth getting to know as well, as you probably will be getting trained on the pump with them and can answer any questions while you are on the pump (along with customer service).

The Animas claims to be able to go into the pool or shower, but like I said, we take it off just in case. First, where are you supposed to put it while you are in the shower? I guess you could hold it in your teeth while you soap up! Ha. Normally we test after he gets out of the pool (I think they suggest testing every hour you are off the pump) and correct him if he is high and then take it off again.

Good luck.

I have been on the minimed paradigm for a bit more then a week and it is great, you can also connect an extra feature to the minimed which is this thing that sits under your skin and measures you glucose every couple of minutes. Yiour insurance should cover it, a set is the tubing and little sticker on your stomach and very rarely do they hurt. You have to disconnect the pump every time you are getting deliberately wet like showering and swimming, but this doesn't mean that you have to have another set change, you just click it off. Good websites include www.medtronic-diabetes.com.au

www.minimed.com

• Diane

I am writing to tell you what an incredible impact these methods had on my life! I have had type 2 diabetes for 27 years. For me, the worst part of this horrible disease is the severe pain I constantly get in my feet. The pain is so bad that I avoid standing and walking as much as possible. I've got to tell you that within the first month, my feet stopped hurting altogether and I can now walk totally pain free.

Believe it or not, I even danced at my niece's wedding last month, something I have not done in a many years. I've been following the book for six months now and my blood sugar is well within normal range. I feel great!

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

I have a minimed, it has worked great, they use infusion sets which are a tube connected to the pump where the insulin reservoir is, a needle is inserted under your skin with tape to stick, the infusion set I use is the silhouette, My health care provider also covered $4000, the pump cost $5000 so we paid $1000 for it, plus infusion set( 1 month supply, infusion sets $120,reservoir $40, IV prep(may last longer) $12). Plus the test strips for the monitor cost about $50 for 50 strips). So 1 month treatment without insulin could be about $250-$300, the insulin used is humalog or novolog, fast acting insulin which is also more expensive, I suggest you check you health care coverage on everything to avoid any surprises. www.minimed.com. All in all it has worked great and I wouldn't go back. Its like my little artificial pancreas.

Source(s): Diabetic for 21 years, pumper for 5 years.

This pump with continued glucose readings is already available. It is the minimed paradigm 522 or 722.

I'm thinking about going in the real time. I am already on the insulin pump and think the added benefit of the glucose monitor would be awesome.

i'm a diabetc and have a deltec cozmo. i'm content with it, but it's not the best. i'd go with the minimed paradigm. my cozmo was 2,000 and insurance covered it.

a set is the "stuff" you use to put your pump on. it consists of the tubing, barrier wipes, the things that make it stay on you, and of course, the tube that goes in you.

it doesnt hurt at all. its like doing finger sticks. the needle is only used to get the tubing inside you. but no pain. it's great.

you can get water proof pumps. you just disconnect it to swim and shower. then when you're done, reconnect it and correct your blood sugar. REALLY helps alot. =]