Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do Christians think that Newton's law of universal gravitation used to be called "the theory of gravity"?

That is, the theory changed into a law, and now doesn't exist any more since the law replaced it?

That's what these questions seem to indicate:

1. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkKRU...

2. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AlM6a...

Update:

Goomba: There's a slight difference between not understanding and asking questions, and not understanding and telling other people they're stupid because they understand.

Update 2:

Central N.Y. Guy: That's an untruth.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That's what you get for expecting Creationists to know anything about science.

• 4 years ago

On the century when Newton lived, everybody believed there was one set of laws for objects here on earth, and a different set of laws for celestial bodies. Newton came to understand that his law of gravitation applied in both domains, therefore the word universal was added to the name, to emphasize this aspect.

• 1 decade ago

Actually its a law as long as its within a Newtonian universe, just as Euclid's geometry holds in Euclidean spaces but not quite perfectly in reality. So they can call it whatever they wish!

Even relativity and quantum theory are thus far 'approximators' of reality, we need a backed-up grand unified theory if we were to proclaim a law that applies to our objective reality!

With regards to evolution though, there's the theory and there's the evidence to back it up- these people should really stop trying to 'disprove' it and just try to find an interpretation of Genesis that'd allow it or something!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it might have been atheists that thought it because they don't believe in anything, but wait maybe it was Muslims and Buddhists. My remarks are totally sarcastic because the question is totally sarcastic labelling one religion with a characteristic that all humans have - questioning validity of information that is new to them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Newton was brilliant. Many of Einstein's calculations and scientific studies were the results of his fascination with Newton.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most dictionary's state that evolution is

change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

Most dictionary's state a theory is a explanation of something that is still conjecture ( still in doubt, or unproven)

They call it the evolutionary theory.

Call it what you want, it's still a theory.

Gravity has been tested.

Micro-evolution is the adaptation of a species.

Macro-evolution is still un-proven, because it has not been seen nor does anyone know what in the world is in the animals body that makes them change. like that

• 1 decade ago

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think we think too much. How about just watching a puppy or a kitten finding it legs? Or a giraffe, a butterfly, or whatever. Life is complex as we make it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Gravity is of Satan! Repent!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

People are just trying to understand. Can't blame someone for asking. They only want to know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.