Does DNA change? If it doesn't, and we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, why isn't our DNA the same?

I'm not trying to bash anyone. I DO believe in God and in Adam and Eve. But I was reading this thing about a frozen corpse or something like that from hundreds or thousands of years ago who was tested and turned out to be an ancestor of some teacher.

Anyway, that got me thinking, if DNA always remains the same and Adam and Eve were the first man and woman and we are all descendants, shouldn't we have the same DNA? (I don't mean exact, I mean in the way that we can tell 2 people are related or not.)

It's just an innocent question, I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything. What I'm saying could be the stupidest thing you've ever heard, but seriously, this question keeps bugging me.

Update:

Keep those answers coming!

By the way, like I said, I don't mean exact DNA, I know that each person has a unique set of their own DNA, I mean the same thing that scientists test to see if 2 people are related or not. They test DNA. I don't mean, "why aren't we clones?" I mean why isn't there some faint trace of blood connection between us if we came from the same set of parents (Adam and Eve)?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

DNA isn't the same with any two people, not even twins have the same DNA. They just have the same chromozones if they are related - even distantly.

When the egg and sperm combine it takes chromozones from the mother AND the father.....then again and again.

The mother's chromozones largely makes up the subject's DNA. Did you know that they have traced all of the human, with DNA, race to one woman's chromozones? Look it up, it's true :]

Hope that helps!

Source(s): Nursing student and fellow Christian.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • x
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The answer in a nutshell is microevolution combined with the fact that DNA can mutate.

Longer answer: The enzymes that make new DNA for each cell in the body sometimes screw up, leading to mutations. A mutation is just a changed DNA sequence. Mutations often do nothing. Sometimes, though, they can change the attributes of offspring. (The mutations only matter evolutionarily when they occur in the sperm or egg, because they control the childrens' entire genetic code.) If the mutation has a negative impact, the mutant offspring may not live long enough to reproduce, thereby preventing the mutation from being passed on to another generation. If the mutation is good, though, the offspring will live longer and/or reproduce more, causing the new trait to be passed on to many children, ensuring that the future generation have this new mutation. After many generations, the resulting organisms have plenty of mutations making them different from the original parents (Adam and Eve if Genesis is literally accurate).

By the way, when I talk about mutations, I'm referring mainly to reproductive cells. Don't worry that you will mutate during your life and become someone else. Mutations occur in individual cells, but all the cells in your body have nearly identical genetic sequences. (I'm talking about something like 99.999999% similar.) However, when a cell has a mutation in a section of the DNA known as a protooncogene, the rrsult is cancer.

There is also the possibility that there were more than 2 original people. (This scenario would not rule out the Genesis version because God may have created others. Keep in mind that Adam and Eve had no daughters mentioned in the Bible, so either Eve was guilty of incest, which God would surely be displeased with, or there were some other people that were not included in the Bible.) If many people existed at first, that would allow for more variation, but microevolution would still cause many changes from the original generations. Furthermore, geographic isolation has led to individualized DNA. (After all, it's hard to get Mongolian DNA if everybody in your family lived in England, for instance.)

• 1 decade ago

DNA changes every generation, by a very small amount. Certain variations that have accumulated are possible to be tracked as they are passed on.

The case you are thinking of is Cheddar Man, whose 9,000 year old remains were found in a cave in England. DNA was extracted from a tooth, and was a type of DNA tested is only passed from mother to child. The DNA was tested against the local population. Two students matched and the teacher had a single mutation difference (the small change over time). The are not necessarily direct descendants, but they do descend from the same population.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think you need to refresh your biology. It doesn't make sense because you have some misconception about DNA and gene passing.

DNA remains the same within the same person. The DNA from your parents to you are similar but different - a mixture of your parents. This is just simplified biology, but you should have 1/2 your father DNA and 1/2 your mother's DNA. You should have 1/4 your grandmother (father side) DNA and 1/4 your grandfather (father side) DNA. This can go so forth and so forth.

When scientists are looking for ancestors, they look for particular mutations in DNA sequencing. Someone's father might have a unique mutation in his sequence. This is passed down to the children. Mutations add new information into the gene pool. Scientists do not accept that Adam & Eve existed 6,000 years ago. Explaining gene diversity would be difficult to explain in such a short period of time with 2 people as the starting point.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

For the gentleman that said DNA was “just another nail in the coffin of creationism”.

DNA is exactly the opposite. It is proof that all living things were created by an “Intelligent Being”. It has been found to be so complex that is could not have come about by a random accident as Darwin’s theory suggests.

Every living thing on earth has it’s own DNA. DNA contains a language that uses only six basic components. Four chemical bases, a phosphate, and a sugar. It has this same combination of components in every living thing on earth. Just the existence of the language alone proves the hand of a very high intelligence. This language then maps out the information required to make almost a million types of animals and nearly a half million species of plants. Using just six simple components it is more powerful than the most high-powered computer made today.

The Theory of Evolution is that the first life on earth began with a single cell bacteria that, over a very long period of time formed out of some primitive soup. Darwin, and the scientists of his day believed that this single cell creature contained within its cell, very simple protoplasm that gave it life. Something this simple might conceivably have been able to form on its own, given several million years.

However, It is now know that something as simple as a single cell bacteria ( a living organism) has a DNA sequence so complex that it not only could not possibly be produced by accident, It could not even be produced by modern science.

The odds of a random occurrence of even one protein strand of moderate length are dramatically less than one chance in 10 to the 150th power. 10 trillion is 10 to the 14th power. 10 to the 150th power is unimaginable. It’s hard to grasp how long these odds are — ten followed by 150 zeros. Even if the earth is 4.5 billion years old that is not long enough for something with that kind of odds to occur. In other words it is impossible.

Many scientists have been converted to the “Intelligent Design” idea because of the discoveries in DNA. Many more will not change simply because they would have to come up with a reason why they have been supporting a theory all these years, that is wrong.

Richard Lewontin quote "It now seems to me," he says, "that the findings of more than 50 years of DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to intelligent design."

Another scientist wrote “ The discovery of the enormous complexity of DNA should have ended the argument of the Evolutionist against Creationist. It should be obvious that all the living things on the earth were created by an “Intelligent Being” with a level of intelligence much, higher than human intelligence.

• 4 years ago

Genetics? Sociology? Anthropology? Take your pick as It's not my job to convince a closed mind. Humans have always been humans and have developed as we have went along. This is evident not only in our genetics but also in our behavior, psychology, technology and civilizations. The two alternatives of humans being of primate origin and extraterritorial origin rely on chance and unconfirmable supposition. That a primate gene somehow fused to give the same number of chromosomes as humans and the race started to evolve from there is laughable. Mutations (unlike in superhero comics) are always deadly or deforming to the life form. Extraterrestrial origin is supposing that there is intelligent life elsewhere that has put us here. However we're not like cattle being bred for their consumption or use as our numbers are increasing. We have no means of contact or knowledge from the "others" (psychics and mediums aside) and have had none confirmed by any government. There really is no other solution than the Adam and Eve one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

DNA does not entirely change. That's why descendants of Adam and Eve did not turn into monkeys or turtles. Human DNA will always remain a HUMAN DNA.

However, in this human DNA there are some VARIATIONS. That is why you look different from your siblings and/or your parents. Even identical twins have some minor differences. When it comes to relatives, DNA is more similar than if neighbors were compared. And that is why you often CAN tell if the people are related.

I hope this helps you.

• 1 decade ago

DNA does not stay the same in the sense you think it does. Each person's DNA is largely the same (that's what makes us human instead of monkeys), but it has small variations in pattern which make us unique. When a child is conceived, it receives bits of DNA from each of its parents. Since a child receives DNA from both parents, I think it's safe to assume that the child's DNA will differ slightly from that of its parents. The only time you will ever see DNA close to identical is in identical twins.

• 1 decade ago

We all have the same DNA structure, we each have our own set of genetic mutations inherited from previous generations. Where and when these mutations occur is fairly easy to study and prove without a doubt that either a) Adam and Eve is mythology OR b) God is deceptive and just wanted us to THINK that Adam and Eve is mythology.

Check out this page:

http://www.dnaancestryproject.com/

Genetics also provide water tight proof of common decent. For a quick 4 minute explanation, watch this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3O6KYPmEw&feature=...

Of course, if common decent is true, Adam and Eve isn't.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hahahahahaha at the person who said only twins have the same DNA, thanks for the laugh I needed one. So by your logic a chimpanzee is your brother, because you share 98% of the same DNA as a chimpanzee, only chimpanzee's are much smarter then most humans, because they do not need a book to tell them what is right or wrong. All humans share 99.9% of there DNA, only the .1% makes up race, size, etc.

To the original question, look up endogenous retroviruses. Endogenous retrovirus, in basic termonolgy, ERV's is a viral sequence that has become part of the infected animal's genome. Upon entering a cell, a retrovirus copies its RNA genome into DNA, and inserts the DNA copy into one of the host cell's chromosomes. Different retroviruses target different species and types of host cells; the retrovirus only becomes endogenous if it inserts into a cell whose chromosomes will be inherited by the next generation, i.e. an ovum or sperm cell. The offspring of the infected individual will have a copy of the ERV in the same place in the same chromosome in every single one of their cells. Our common ancestor of all modern mammals, is infected by a retrovirus that becomes endogenous. All of the animal's descendants (i.e. all mammals) would be expected to carry the same ERV insertion (ERV1) in the same chromosomal location, in which they do. Here are some more sites to help you

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcg...

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section4.h...

http://evolution-101.blogspot.com/2006/04/molecula...

So in basic English, Adam & Eve did not exist

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.