Are Dems in Congress purposely blocking Bush's energy plan (drilling) so that he continues to look bad...?

...and appear to the American people as if he is not doing anything to solve the gas crisis?

I understand that drilling is a long-term solution, but if Bill Clinton wouldn't have blocked the measure in the 90's we'd have our oil by now. Screw the blue-footed booby (or whatever).

Pleas note that I am disappointed with Bush's 2nd term and his massive spending and turn to big gov't, but let's be fair. Congress seems to be screwing him over and acting childish at the expense of the American people.

Best Answer

The 'blame Bush for everything' mantra is wearing thin on the American public (It didn't get Hilary the nomination). The Democrats in Congress are desperate to make Bush the most hated man in America. Why? Because their approval ratings are even lower than Bush's. 18 percent to Bush's 29 percent. That is news they don't want to get widely circulated so they go back to saying Bush is the problem.

The Democrats in Congress are really going to miss Bush. Especially if their guy wins in November. Who will they villanize then? Probably the American people. Get ready.

• They are blocking his energy plan because they disagree with him. Both Democrats and Republicans have opposed the oil drilling plans (early in Bush's first time, he tried to suggest this with a Republican-controlled Congress and enough Republicans defected from the party line to defeat the bill in the Senate). And, quite frankly, there's not much the Congress can do to make Bush look any worse than he already does, and there's not much that Bush or anyone else can do to improve the current energy crisis, short of conjuring up more fossil fuels.

Bush's energy plan? That's rich.

Bush Sr initiated the ban on off shore drilling and Bush Jr signed a ban of his own. Now that his big oil contributors are tweaking his puppet strings suddenly it's the Dems blocking him? The oil companies are not even using the off shore permits they now have, something like 68 million acres, so why give them more? This supply con they are pulling is a weak measure to open up the protected lands they've wanted since the Reagan days.

in keeping with JoanL, the choose for oil while the Republicans had the domicile replaced into no longer something even resembling what it somewhat is now. give up being biased and attempt to quite answer the questions. Democrats are greater anxious approximately barren land than they're approximately taxpayers' wallets. Get counseled JoanL.

It is against all they stand for. Alternative Energy is the new frontier. Once gas is 10 bucks a gallon they can save us with AE. Their answer is always in the future and they block the funding for these same programs. Lenin would be proud.

Source(s): Summer School Liberal !!!!

i just heard the liberals on TV respond that if the Conservatives wanted to do something then they should have did it back when the prices where first rising back then when they controlled congress.

“The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.”

“In the present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem”

“In every age 'the good old days' were a myth. No one ever thought they were good at the time. For every age has consisted of crises that seemed intolerable to the people who lived through them.”

Oh you are so right. I noted a while back in an answer I gave to another poster that the GOP leadership could get back in the game if they took on the Democrats over oil policy. He agreed, but I don't know if there's enough time to get some momentum. Now I'm an independent and have issues with both parties. That said, I find this Democratic response to be the height of arrogance. Do they think people don't notice how little they've done since they won Congress in 2006? Yes, they can blame Bush all they want, but this was such a blatant example of disregard that I wonder if they've had a collective stroke? They must be banking on Iraq saving them so they feel free to pander to the environmentalists. I hope with all my heart they lose in November over this. America First!

They are trying to spin this against the whole of the GOP. Let's see the GOP is saying DRILL HERE DRILL NOW and the Dems are saying NO WAY NO HOW. I am for actions not walking to work until the liberals find out how to fuel cars with their own hot air .

• Boss H

No, they don't need to open up more land when the land that is opened hasn't been touched.

If the Chinese ccan dril our oil sideways like right-wingers claim, why can't we do the same thing from over 60 miles away like the Chinese are supposedly doing?

Tel ya why....it is far easy to blame environmentalists and dems for your record profits. That is the extent of Republican personal responsibility....point at the democrat.

• Every bill the write is designed not to pass or get vetoed.

Right. They care about people? Is that why they want so much more money from me? Am I not a person? Have I not dedicated an entire life to work so that our society prospers? They seem to only care about getting their hands on our money.