Does the feeling of sky diving compare to a rollercoaster?

I am wondering if when you sky dive, it feels anything like a rollercoaster, especially on the first big drop of the coaster. Is the feeling in your stomach or do you even feel much at all?

Favorite Answer

What you feel is a LOT of wind. It doesn't feel like a roller coaster because you are already at/near terminal velocity when you jump out. The roller coaster sensation is acceleration - notice how you're stopped or nearly so at the top of the big drop? And how the subsequent drops don't feel quite the same? When you hit the subsequent drops, you don't accelerate as much as on the first.

When I've jumped (civilian), I've gone out of a plane doing in excess of 100 mph - there's not too far to go before you hit TV, so there's not much of a stomach sensation. It's just a change of vector.

What really struck me the first time I jumped was the force of the wind in my face. Imagine being in a car doing 120 mph and sticking your head out the window!

Source(s): USN 1985-92 and civilian skydiving experience

Diving Roller Coaster

skydiving doesn't really have a sensation of movement, that didn't bother me much at all;

and routinely would exit an aircraft with a bag of vomit preceeding me, once in the air was not a problem

generally did better once the doors were open, and did the worse during low level inflight

i absolutely hate rollercoasters, occasionally would get on one with one of the kids, but would be sick for 20 min after, i get motion sick watching a rollercoaster

It's like that, times a thousand and lasting much, much longer. You get that lurch during the initial acceleration, but after that, it's a totally different sensation.

Initialy yes! but your body aadjusts between aadrenaline and fun!