Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Book recommendations?

I am a 16 year old girl, and one of those people who has just trillions of books stacked and scattered around my room

However, I hate anything science fiction or fantasy related (except for the twilight series, but some of that is realistic..in a way. besides, who doesnt love those books? :])

I am definately a heavy reader, so nothings too much, or too little, for me

I usually go for, and yes i know im a sap, books with romance in them, but not those cheesy novels with fabio on the cover or anything like that

But i also look for books that have some meaning, or have an impact in a person

general types of books ive read:

looking for alaska-john greene (books like that would be amazing)

the lovely bones

jodi picoult, sarah dessen, deb caletti (they also touch on mental illnesses/heavy subjects and i love to read about them)

crank-ellen hopkins,

and perks of being a wallflower

ANY recommendations would be amazing !

thank you for anyone who suggests something

Best Answer

WEBSITE BELOW HAS LOTS OF DIFFERENT LISTS.

Markus Zusak:

The Book Thief (Historical Fiction) and I Am the Messenger

Philippa Gregory:

The Other Boleyn Girl - Mary Boleyn comes to court at the age of fourteen and is noticed by Henry VIII. She basks in her role as unofficial queen until Henry begins to lose interest in her and turns to her sister, Anne.

Mitch Albom:

The Five People You Meet in Heaven; Tuesdays With Morrie; and For One More Day.

J. D. Salinger: Catcher in the Rye

Betty Smith:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Coming of Age Novel)

John Knowles: A Separate Peace

John Gunther:

Death Be Not Proud (A memoir about the death of his son)

Richard Peck:

Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder

David Pelzer:

A Child Called "IT"; The Lost Boy; and A Man Named Dave

Amy Tan: The Joy Luck Club

Maya Angelou: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Jay Asher: Thirteen Reasons Why

Ellen Hopkins:

Crank and its sequel Glass about a girl addicted to drugs; Burned about a girl who is abused by her father and after being thrown out of school is sent to live with her aunt; and Impulse about teen suicide, drugs, and other issues.

Laurie Halse Anderson:

Prom, Twisted, Speak, Catalyst, and Fever 1793 (The first four are Contemporary and the last is Historical Fiction)

Kim Edwards: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

S. E. Hinton (a.k.a. Susan Eloise Hinton):

The Outsiders; Rumble Fish; Tex; That Was Then, This is Now; Taming the Star Runner; and Some of Tim's Stories

Scott Westerfeld:

Uglies - Tally is anticipating her 16th birthday when she will undergo an operation to make her unbelievably gorgeous. Her friend Shay isn't interested in having the operation and takes off. Tally is forced to make a choice: locate Shay and turn her in or remain ugly.

Sequels: Pretties, Specials, and Extras

Libba Bray:

A Great and Terrible Beauty - Gemma Doyle grew up in India, but after the death of her mother the 16 year old is sent to Spence Academy in London. It is the Victorian Age and these young ladies are being trained for their future roles as wives to men they may not want to marry. As so many have experienced, initially she is an unwelcome outsider. Eventually, she makes friends with three girls and together they explore Gemma's supernatural powers and a group known as the Order.

Sequels: Rebel Angels and The Sweet Far Thing

Audrey Niffenegger: The Time Traveler's Wife

Lisa McMann:

Wake - Janie discovered when she was 8 years old that if someone nearby began to dream she was pulled unwillingly into that dream. She has always hated the falling dreams, and those where someone is naked in public, and the steamy sex dreams, but this latest dream is the worst.

Fade (The sequel - to be released February 2009)

Carolyn Mackler:

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things

Sue Monk Kidd:

The Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair

Lauren Myracle:

TTYL (Talk to Ya Later)

ttfn (Ta Ta For Now)

L8r, g8r

Jodi Picoult:

My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes (A Columbine Like Incident), The Pact (A suicide pact), Vanishing Acts, and Change of Heart

Nicholas Sparks:

The Notebook - Thirty one year old, Noah Calhoun is back in coastal North Carolina after WWII and thinking constantly about the girl he lost years ago. Twenty nine year old Allie Nelson is set to marry a wealthy lawyer, but is haunted by thoughts of the one she loved long ago.

Message in a Bottle - Theresa Osborne is divorced and cynical about love and life. This changes when she finds a bottle on the beach which contains a love letter. This is a beautiful story for those who choose to believe in the miracle of finding that special someone.

A Walk to Remember, The Rescue, A Bend in the Road, Nights in Rodanthe, The Guardian, The Wedding, True Believer, A First Sight, Dear John, and The Choice.

Ann Brashares:

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - A wonderful story about Tibby, Carmen, Lena, and Bridget, four very different friends who are spending their first summer apart from one another. Each of the girls faces her own crisis and, in the end, they are there for each other. It's a great story of friendship.

Sequels: The Second Summer of the Sisterhood; Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood; and Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood.

The Last Summer (of You & Me)

Meg Cabot:

All American Girl and Ready or Not; Teen Idol; Nicola and the Viscount; Victoria and the Rogue; Pants on Fire; Jinx; Avalon High and Avalon High 2: Coronation

1-800-Where R You? Series - When Lightning Strikes, Code Name Cassandra, Safe House, Sanctuary, and Missing You

Mediator Series - Shadowland; Ninth Key; Reunion; Darkest Hour; Haunted; and Twilight

Princess Series - Princess Diaries; Princess in the Spotlight; Princess in Love; Princess in Waiting; Project Princess; Princess in Pink; Princess in Training; The Princess Present; Party Princess; Sweet Sixteen Princess; Valentine Princess; Princess on the Brink; Princess Mia; Princess Lessons; Perfect Princess; and Holiday Princess

Robin Jones Gunn:

Christy Miller Series - Summer Promise; A Whisper and a Wish; Yours Forever; Surprise Endings; Island Dreamer; A Heart Full of Hope; True Friends; Starry Night; Seventeen Wishes; A Time to Cherish; Sweet Dreams; and A Promise is Forever.

Sierra Jensen Series - Only You, Sierra; In Your Dreams; Don't You Wish; Close Your Eyes; Without a Doubt; With This Ring; Open Your Heart; Time Will Tell; Now Picture This; Hold on Tight; Closer Than Ever; and Take My Hand.

Katie Weldon Series - Peculiar Treasures

Emily Giffin:

Something Blue (2nd) - Shallow, vapid, Darcy Rhone has always believed that the beautiful people are blessed, but then her plain looking friend Rachel White steals her fiance leaving Darcy alone and pregnant by another man. This is a novel about forgiveness, friendship, true love, and the happy-ever-after so many seek.

Something Borrowed (1st), Baby Proof (3rd), and Love the One You're With (4th).

LaVryle Spencer: VOWS

Barbara Delinsky: Three Wishes

Danielle Steel: Granny Dan

SCIENCE FICTION Everyone ignores sci-fi but the truth is that some books are nearly half philosophy. Read Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein, Prey by Michael Crichton, and 2001: A Space Odyssey or Rendevous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Plus, I agree that Agatha Christie is a must-read. After Shakespeare and the Bible, she has sold the most number of books worldwide ever. Her best are And Then There Were None, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express

I would suggest The Alienist and Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr. They deal with a psychiatrist trying to solve cases.

Anything by Christopher Rice. I think he is a better author than his mother. His books are a bit dark, but they deal wit real life issues.

I would also suggest anything by Chuck Palahniuk, especially Choke which is my favorite of his books.

The Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman is interesting, They deal with psychology.

The Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella is a good read, if you're looking for a fun book, as well as the Heather Wells series by Meg Cabot.

I also really recommend Season Of The Witch by James Leo Herlihy. It's about a girl who goes to NY with her friend (who is hiding from the government during the Vietnam War). It's a book about a young woman finding herself, and what she believes in.

I would also suggest anything by Haruki Murakami especially Sputnik Sweetheart and Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

I am a huge fantasy and sci-fi fan but since you don't like those, I won't suggest any.

Oh and as a comment to the statement: "except for the twilight series, but some of that is realistic..in a way. besides, who doesnt love those books?"

I don't love those books, I hate them.

Some authors you may want to check out include:

Jane Austen -- rich in characters, adventure, conversations, descriptions of locale (Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, etc.)

E. Lockhart -- deals with teens growing up, humorous, clever dialogue, memorable characters (Fly on the Wall, The Boyfriend list, etc.)

David Levithan and Rachel Cohn's Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (great collaboration of two authors capable of realistic dialogue, clever writing, etc.)

John Green -- An Abundance of Katherines is great and he has a new book coming out called Paper Towns

Laura Ruby -- realistic vision of teens

Cecil Castellucci -- Dialogue, situations, humor (read The Queen of Cool)

Amanda Davis -- read I Wonder When You'll Miss Me

Sara Ryan -- memorable characters, fabulous descriptions (Empress of the World, Rules for Hearts)

Happy Reading!

Sweet Oleander by Janet Fitch

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (10 books)

Any books by James Herriot

Any books by Robert James Waller

Any books by Anne Tyler, especially Saint Maybe

It's always good to get a grounding in the classics. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo has some great characters and a bit of romance, which might suit your tastes.

Also, Les Miserables not slow or difficult to read, like some classics.

I would stay far away from Jane Austen, though. VERY SLOW.

I love Meg Cabot (Heather Wells & Queen of Babble) and Sophie Kinsella's (Shopaholic [soon to be movie] & Remember Me) books. I am in the process of reading Emily Giffin's (Something Borrowed & Something Blue, Baby Proof) books. They are all great authors!

For a young adult/teen I recommend Meg Cabot's young adult books. She is the best author. Also best selling. She wrote tons of books including the Princess Diaries (Movies based on her books), Mediator (upcoming movie), 1-800-Missing (TV show based on her books), Jinx, Airhead and more. She has adult books too, so you can grow with her.

If you want more info or meg cabot's website email me.

• im just like that i have a book shelf full the shelvs in my closet are full i have books on the dresser under the bed and even in my dresser drawers!! lol!!

Lurlene McDaniel books maybe sad but still have romance in them.

i read the 1800-were-r-u series they were great written by meg cabot i fell in love with those.

really anything by meg cabot is good!

Christy Miller,

the nannies,

what if...,

A katie parker production.

I like the same type of books.

private series by kate brian

13 reasons why by jay asher

princess diarie series by meg cabot

13 lttle blue envelopes by maureen johnson