How much of a home loan can I qualify for? Most "affordability" calculators online show a low loan amount.

My husband and I live in Southern California and we are planning on getting pre-qualified for a home soon. I want to know what to expect as far as the amount of a home loan we can qualify for. My husband and I's net income is about $90k per year together. Our credit scores are both between 720 and 735. We have... show more My husband and I live in Southern California and we are planning on getting pre-qualified for a home soon. I want to know what to expect as far as the amount of a home loan we can qualify for. My husband and I's net income is about $90k per year together. Our credit scores are both between 720 and 735. We have no credit card debt or student loans. Our only monthly debt is our vehicles, which combined is $950 a month. Online affordability calculators show a loan amount around $230 - $250k, which is pretty crappy for homes in southern California. How accurate are these calculators? Could we qualify for more?
Update: We have about $15,000 to put towards down payment and closing costs now and we hope to have another $5k at least buy the time we buy.