Magik
Lv 5
Magik asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Slow cooker recipes?

I got a knew job that starts at 5pm and i am looking for a bunch of slow cooker recipes that i can make for my husband and kids since i won't be able to spend dinner with them anymore.

If you have any good personal recipes you would like to share or know any good sites, I would love the help...thanks so much.

P.S. doesn't matter what it is, we like everything : )

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

At least you're realistic about the amount of preparation you're willing to do. Your local library probably has several cookbooks which contain nothing but slowcooker recipes, and other cookbooks with slowcooking sections. If your library doesn't have these books, ask the librarian for an interlibrary loan. My basic recipe is to put a large chunk of some sort of meat in the cooker, add a little liquid, and possibly add some minced dried onions. The minced dried onions can be found in the spice & seasoning section of the store, and they work very well in a slow cooker. I think that they taste better than fresh onions, and they are certainly much faster to use. The cheaper cuts of meat are actually better in a slow cooker than the more expensive ones. The cooker will give the cheap cuts time to break down over the long cooking period. So, use dark chicken meat, thighs or drumsticks, rather than breasts. Use a chuck or 7 blade roast, rather than round. Canned broth is great to put in a slow cooker, or use flavor base, mixing it with a little hot water. I like Better than Buillion flavor base, as it has a lot less sodium than buillion cubes. Wine is a great liquid to add, too. Just remember that slow cooking will produce a lot of liquid, and you usually won't need to add more than a cup. Slow cooking is a great way to keep from heating up the house, too.

• Pesh
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

After some trial and error, I came up with a great Stew recipe that I really love!

I take about a pound or so of cubed stew beef, and coat it with flour and spices by shaking it in a ziplock bag. I put that in the crock pot along with some baby carrotts and about 5 or 6 quartered potatoes. Then I pour in a small can of tomato paste, some beef broth (I just eyeball it) and some beer (the alcohol burns off in cooking and it adds excellent flavor). If I have it on hand, I add about a tablespoon of powdered onion soup mix. Sometimes I throw in a little worchestire sauce if I have it, only about a tablespoon.

Put the lid on and cook on low all day (about 5 or 6 hours) or on high for about 3 hours. It will make your house smell amazing and the meat will melt in your mouth!

• 1 decade ago

Most things that can be cooked in the oven can also be made in a crockpot. Here's a really easy one. No real measurements, just in whatever amounts you like.

equal amounts of sweet and hot sausage cut into 1 inch pieces. Put in the crockpot and coat lightly with olive oil. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and crushed garlic to taste. Add one bag of frozen pepper and onion stir-fry. Add mushrooms (canned or fresh) if you like. Mix together. Cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours. This can be served on pasta, rice or on rolls.

Check this site out for more conversions

http://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/crock-pot-reci...

• Clare
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Here's our two favorites:

French Onion Casserole:

1-1/4 lb. boneless beef round steak (1/2 to 3/4-inch thick)

1 (8 oz.) pkg sliced fresh mushrooms (about 3 cups)

1 large onion, sliced, separated into rings

1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed French onion soup

1 (6 oz.) pkg. 10 minute herb stuffing mix (or a 6 1/4 oz. pkg. 15-minute herb stuffing mix, whichever is available)

1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Cut the beef into 6 serving sized pieces. Layer half each of beef, mushrooms and onion in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart crock pot, the repeat the layers. Pour the soup over ingredients in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is tender and no longer pink.

Before serving, in a medium bowl combine the stuffing mix, and it's seasoning packet, the melted margarine and 1/2 cup of liquid from the crock pot then toss to mix. Place the stuffing on top of contents in the crock pot. Increase the heat to high. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the stuffing is fluffy. Sprinkle it with the cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted.

Hash Brown Casserole:

1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (browned and drained)

1 medium onion, chopped

1 envelope brown gravy (undiluted)

1 can (16oz) cream style corn

1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 package (16oz) frozen hash browns (slightly thawed)

1 can cream of celery, mushroom, or chicken soup

1/2 cup evaporated milk

salt and pepper to taste

Place the browned ground beef and onion in your crock pot and toss with the powdered gravy mix. Pour the cream corn over the ground beef mixture, then add half of the cheese. Top with the hash browns and the remaining cheese. Mix the can of cream soup with the evaporated milk and pour it evenly over the hash browns. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. (Or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

take pork, chicken or beef put enough water in the crock to cover the meat, add salt(the more salt the more tender your meat will be)and pepper or whatever you want, cook it till it falls apart drain the water, shread th meat dump bbq sauce over it and put it on hamburger buns or bread!

best way to do this is right before u goto bed put it on low and let it cook

• 1 decade ago

Here is a crockpot recipe website I recently found:

http://www.ichef.com/ecookbooks/crockpot.pdf

Source(s): link above
  • 1 decade ago

Here's the link to the Crock Pot site.

• 1 decade ago

Here's some of my faves:

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

2 chicken breast--boneless/skinless

1 can cream chicken soup

2 T margarine

2 cans biscuits

1 soup can of water

Put the chicken breasts in a crockpot, top w/ soup, margarine, and water. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Then, shred the chicken w/ 2 forks and stir. 45 minutes before serving (turn to "high" if cooking on "low"), add cut up biscuits.

Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

1 large onion, sliced

5 carrots, chopped

2 tsp. salt

4 oz. mushrooms, sliced

½ tsp. pepper

¼ tsp. thyme

10 oz. frozen peas

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

5 cups water (you can also use chicken broth instead- if you do, OMIT THE SALT!!)

3 cups noodles

Place ingredients in a crock pot, except the noodles, in the order listed. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken and shred, put back in crock pot. Add noodles and cook on high for ½ hour.

Crockpot Italian Chicken

1 package chicken tenders cut into bite-sized pieces

1 can cream of mushroom soup

4 oz. cream cheese

¼ cup butter, melted

1 .7 oz packet dry Italian dressing mix

½ cup white wine

Put chicken in bottom of Crockpot. Mix soup, cream cheese, butter, and Italian dressing together. Pour over chicken. Top with white wine. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over angel hair pasta.

Cheesy Crockpot Chicken

3 whole boneless chicken breasts

2 cans cream chicken soup

1 can cheddar cheese soup

Remove all fat and skin from chicken; rinse and pat dry, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Put in crock-pot and add the three soups straight from the cans. Cook on low all day (at least 8 hrs). Do not lift the lid. Serve over rice or noodles.

Crockpot Brisket

6 lb Single beef brisket

2 large Onions, sliced

1 clove Garlic, minced

¾ c Brown sugar

½ c Vinegar

1 c Catsup

1 c Water

1 tbs Salt

¼ tsp Pepper

Place brisket in heavy skillet and brown on all sides, add onion and garlic and brown. All other ingredients are now added simmered (covered) until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Makes 6 Servings.

Crockpot Lentil and Sausage Soup

1 package hot italian sausage sliced

2 cans chicken broth

1/2 bag of lentils

1 small can diced tomatoes

2 Carrots sliced

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp basil or 3 fresh basil leaves, torn up

2 bag leaves

2 cloves garlic diced

1 Combine all ingredients in the crock pot and cook in low all day. This will also cook in about 3 hours on the stove on medium heat I serve with crusty bread...... Make sure you remove the bay leaves

Crockpot Beef Stew

1 1/2 lb lean stew meat

1 can low sodium beef broth

1 bottle beer

1 heaping TBS tomato paste

3 cloves garlic - smashed

4 or 5 red skinned potatoes - quartered

few handfuls of baby carrots

2 bay leaves

flour for dredging

corn starch for thickening

oil

Heat about 1 TBS oil in large pot. Season some flour with salt & pepper and dredge meat. Add to pot and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove meat and put in crock pot. Lower heat and add some broth to deglaze the pan. Pour mixture over meat and add remaining broth and the beer. Stir in tomato paste. Add carrots, potatoes, bay leaves and garlic. Set pot on high and cook 4-6 hours. Remove some of the liquid and mix with a spoonful of corn starch. Stir back into pot and allow to cook several more minutes until liquid thickens a bit. Serve with rolls and salad.

Taco Soup

2 lbs. ground beef, browned

1 small onion, chopped (I left it out)

4 oz. can green chiles

1 pkg. taco seasoning

1 can hominy or corn (I used hominy and I drained it prior)

3 (14.5 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes

1 can kidney beans

1 can pinto beans

1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix

1 ½ cups water

Salt and pepper

Throw it all in the crockpot and let it simmer. We topped out with some crushed chips and cheese.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Slow Cooker Beef with Root Vegetables , 2005, Robin Miller, All rights reserved

Show: Quick Fix Meals with Robin Miller

Episode: Slow Cookin'

1 onion, chopped

4 small red potatoes, quartered

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

1 turnip, peeled and chopped

1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped

1 (3-pound) chuck roast

Salt and ground black pepper

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce

2/3 cup brown sugar

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Arrange onion, potatoes, carrots, turnip, and rutabaga in bottom of slow cooker. Season beef all over with salt and black pepper. Rub flour all over beef. Place roast on top of vegetables in slow cooker.

Whisk together tomato sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, mustard powder, and garlic powder. Pour mixture over beef. Cover and cook on LOW for 12 hours or on HIGH for 8 hours.

Serve 1/3 of beef and all of the vegetables with this meal. Shred and refrigerate remaining beef until ready to use.

Tuscan Chicken with White Beans and Wilted Greens , 2006, Robin Miller, All rights reserved

Show: Quick Fix Meals with Robin Miller

Episode: Light and Easy

2 cups sliced red onions

1 cup sliced fennel bulb

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

4 (5-ounce) skinless chicken breast halves (with bone)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers (from water-packed jar)

4 cups chopped Swiss chard leaves

1 crusty loaf of bread

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 clove garlic

Arrange onions, fennel and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Place beans on top of vegetables. Pour over chicken broth.

Season chicken all over with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables and beans in the slow cooker. Sprinkle rosemary over chicken. Place roasted red pepper slices on top of chicken. Arrange Swiss chard all around chicken.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.

Slice bread and grill or toast, then drizzle with olive oil. Rub hot bread with garlic clove and serve with meal.

• 1 decade ago

Amazing Pork Tenderloin in the Slow Cooker

INGREDIENTS

1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin

1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix

1 cup water

3/4 cup red wine

3 tablespoons minced garlic

3 tablespoons soy sauce

freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place pork tenderloin in a slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet. Pour water, wine, and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat. Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours. Serve with cooking liquid on the side as sauce.

Autumn Beef Stew

INGREDIENTS

15 small red potatoes, halved

1-1/4 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces

1-1/4 large onion, cut into wedges

2-1/2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes

1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine

1 tablespoon and 3/4 teaspoon all-purpose flour

1-1/4 cups water

1-1/4 teaspoons salt

1-1/4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Place potatoes, carrots and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown beef in butter. Transfer beef to slow cooker with a slotted spoon.

Stir flour into the pan drippings until blended; cook and stir until browned. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add salt, parsley, celery seed, thyme and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.

Barbecue Pork On Buns

INGREDIENTS

1 (2 pound) boneless pork loin

1 onion, chopped

3/4 cup cola carbonated beverage

3/4 cup barbecue sauce

8 sandwich buns

DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients except buns in a 4-quart slow-cooker; cook, covered, on high for 5-6 hours, until very tender.

Drain and slice or shred pork; serve on buns with additional barbecue sauce, if desired.

Cantonese Dinner

INGREDIENTS

3-1/4 pounds pork steak, cut into strips

3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil

1-5/8 onion, thinly sliced

1-5/8 (4.5 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained

1-5/8 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce

1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons brown sugar

2-1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

2-1/2 teaspoons salt

3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS

In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork in oil. Drain off excess fat.

Place pork, onion, mushrooms, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a slow cooker. Cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds top round steak, cut into strips

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 onion, chopped

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 (8 ounce) can canned mushrooms

1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon dried chives

1 clove garlic, minced

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 cube beef bouillon

1/4 cup white wine

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 (16 ounce) container sour cream

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Place the beef in the bottom of a slow cooker, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place onion on top of beef, and then add mushroom soup, mushrooms, and water. Season with chives, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and bouillon.

In a small bowl, mix together the wine with the flour. Pour over the beef.

Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours. Stir in the sour cream and parsley, and continue cooking for 1 hour.

Have a day were you have left overs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.