How do I get into graphic design? Exeperiance but no education?

I didn't do graphic design in college but over the years I have acquired enough skills in order to design two different websites (one "fun and creative" the other "proffesional, informative") and several logos, branding images,brochure editing, etc. for the high rep university I work for.... show more I didn't do graphic design in college but over the years I have acquired enough skills in order to design two different websites (one "fun and creative" the other "proffesional, informative") and several logos, branding images,brochure editing, etc. for the high rep university I work for.
I have also done free work with several individuals in designing birth announcements, web banners, etc.

I don't want to try and switch jobs and then end up feeling like I am drowning in a graphic design job without the proper skills.

I have friends who went for college for graphic design and would kill to get contracts for stuff that I have been able to get through my work, just becuase I was accesible and free.
Does my experiance make up for the education? Or would I be suffering if I tried to get a job that had more graphic design focus to it?