Shellie asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Wedding Dress Question?

Here's the strory:

I got my gown early, I won't be using it for another year and a half (or so...we're waiting to get some news before we can set the date). I'm going to get it preserved until I'm ready to get it altered. I have briefly tried it on 3 times. I really lucked out with this dress, I got it for a steal and didn't have to do the bridal shop thing. I'd be horrified if it yellowed and I had to find a new one (and enter a bridal shop)!

My questions:

So, after trying it on briefly 3 times, does it need a cleaning first or what?

I don't know of the reputations of the cleaners and gown preservers near me, so would it be best to preserve it myself?

Positive advice and recommendations are more than welcomed! If you have something negative to say, just save it and move on to the next question please. Thanks

I got it online from David's Bridal

I won't bring my dress to DB for anything, I'd trust them with my dress as much as I'd it with Edward Scissorhands! I've heard too many horror stories! That's way I never asked them, or was given any info..

The dress is satin, and it's clean. It didn't get visibly dirty from trying it on. I just wasn't sure if trying it on was enough for the oils in my skin to yellow the dress over time....

Favorite Answer

I would ask at the bridal shop where you bought the dress how best to store it. They know the details of the dress, what the fabric content is, etc. THAT'S what will determine how you store the dress--different fabrics require different conditions for storage. They can also reccommend a service for you. I work in a bridal salon, and we deal with this ALL the time, so it's not an unusual question.

Without seeing the dress personally, I would say that after trying it on 3 times it would NOT need to be cleaned--however, there are buts. Were you wearing perfume when you tried it on? Did you get makeup on the dress (look around the neckline for this)? Check out the hem--even just brushing against the carpet slightly can dingy up the hem.

If you do this yourself--I would store it flat--not on a hanger. I would simply get a good quality bridal gown bag (again, check with the store where you bought the dress--ours GIVES the bag with the dress, but not all do) and lay it flat in a dry place with controlled temperature. Think walk in closet size of place.

Good luck!

Honestly I wouldn't. I mean you say you don't know the reputation of nearby cleaners. So worst case, they ruin it and you are out everything. It fits and looks great now right? Don't let any stranger touch it. After all you got it for a steal and you don't want to find a new one. So if they ruin it you'd only get the money you paid--which you wouldn't be able to get the dress for again.

I'd go ahead and buy an acid-free bridal bag. They are expensive but that's probably what you will store it in after the wedding. And put it in a closet somewhere. I wouldn't let any cleaners clean it (unless it looks dirty) or preserve it. Just store it someplace without extreme temperatures. No putting it in the attic or a storage unit. Keep it inside your house.

No need to pay someone though. Especially since you don't even know if they are good or not.

Do NOT preserve it in plastic, it will rot it over time. Try two pillow cases pinned together or sometype of natural fiber, cotton garment bag. There is something about plastic with air in it that causes fabrics to break down. It either needs to be a airtight enviroment or natural fiber is the best.If you do take it to a local cleaners make sure you save the reciept for the gown, that way they will be responsible for the full amount if anything happens, I have heard horror stories. Hope this helps.

Contact a local dry cleaner to find out how much it will cost to preserve the gown. My regular cleaner will preserve and box it for less than $100 and that's a pretty reasonable price.

Best wishes!!!!!!!!

I think if you are the only one who tried it on (and it wasn't like in a store wher elotts of people had) you shouldnt need it cleaned yet. But if you are going to keep trying it on then you might wnat to find a company thst speacialies in steaming the gowns and have it steamed. Perhaps the place you go it from will steam it after you are ready to pull it out of the closet again. It should be fine for right now tho! Kudos to you and being on top of things and finding your dress already! Congrats on the wedding!

Crazy as this is gonna sound I did it and it worked....I got my dress last February and I will be wearing it Sept. 13 2008 its been at my mom wrapped in a white bed sheet in the bag from the bridal shop, that was what they suggested and it's in the same shape it was when i took it out the store

i'd get it clean because overtime certain stains you can't see now turn into horrible stains! i'd preserve it myself but good thinking on the whole do it yourself thing because david's bridal has tried to give me the ring around several times so that is why one reason why i decided on a cheap informal wedding in which i am making my own dress....

I would go ahead and have it preserved since your date is so far out but I would not recommend you doing it yourself especially on something so valuable. I am sure your local cleaners will do it or go through your phonebook in your town.

Good luck and congrats!

my aunt owns a dry cleaners... and she dont do preservations.. thats sorta a do it your self deal.... and about the cleaning... ( im not sure where u live) but i live in smal town america lol... and she is the only person that works there that is allowed to do the actual drycleaning on dresses..... but i agree if it was only you that wore it it sould be fine... juss make sure u do a good job preserving it

good luck

I would try to preserve it myself.