promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

surname problem in the united states..?

Hey everybody...,

I'm not a citizen of the United States but I'm going to apply for the green card, how do I deal with my name..? The thing is- my name is of english origin, my surname is of scandinavian origin but is pretty prevalent in the States , ONLY, in my country as I'm its citizen it's spelled completely different. Like, so my name has got another letter which in english doesn't make any sense and does cause lots of confusion. Then comes the surname which is the same everywhere but in my country it has spelled completely different and has got even different letters which ARE NOT even in the english alphabet! otherwise, the surname as it is, and is meant to be ,is totally common in the english speaking world.

How do I deal with it in the States? I surely got to apply with the unlogic name and surname as it is in my passport, right? But what do I do when I'm the States and are going to have a bank account or whatever? Could I anglicize my name and surname?

What to do?


hmm, I DO want to get it right. what's the point in an english name and surname if its spelled some crazy way? and the surname for real has different letters, some of them are not in the abc, as I said..... JUST BECAUSE it is so in my country.. doesn't make sense

Update 2:

it's a different situation, ok.. I'm english but just because I'm a citizen of another country now cripples my name. so different people, different solutions. I'm confused now. I DON'T WANT to keep my name as it is because it's ALREADY an english name, surname just spelled different...

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    on the application for residency, it asks you exactly how you want your name to be legally recognized. you will be able to write on your application exactly how you want your name to be. then when you eventually get your new US passport, or drivers license, that will be your legal name. In your case, just figure out how it will most easily be understood, but it's yoru decision how you want it written. check out the application at "Application for Permanent Residency."

    Source(s): i've done this process for a few people.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    If your name contains a letter that doesn't exist in the English alphabet, don't be afraid to write it or type it on your application.

    Windows is very good at producing lots of various characters - read up on unicode.

    Then let whoever processes the application deal with it. I'm sure they have methods and policies in place.

    For example, the spanish (I believe) put a little curved line over the letter "N" some times. You can type it on an American keyboard by holding the [alt] key, then typing 0241 like this: ñ.

    You can do other symbols too, like: Ð, é, ß, ø, etc.

    Look in Window | Programs | Accessories | System tools | character map.

    Otherwise, you can try a 'transliteration': the german letter "ß" can be transliterated to the English "ss", etc.

    If you email me your first given and surname, I'll try to help transliterate it for you.

    You can also try looking up your name or similar variations in an American or Canadian telephone book (online). Non-English characters aren't usually printed there.


    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jimbo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    I suggest you keep your name as it is. No need to Anglicize it.

    If you want to, then you will have to petition the local court for a name change decree. Do not just change it on your own, as this will cause confusion.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    leave youre name just the way it is

    you'll be fine

    people in the US are used to different types of names today

    100 years ago they would change youre name at the boarder, they dont do that any more

    youre fine!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • fsfa
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Prince changed his name to some goofy symbol and he was fine - I assume your name is no worse than that!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.