Cold Case Help?

I made a request to the City of Fort Worth to access the file on my Dad's homicide, a 28 year old cold case. City has asked the State Attorney General to deny my request on grounds that all or most of the contents are excepted from the Public Information Act. They claim are that the case is still "open and pending", and that granting access would interfere with an ongoing investigation. Additionally, there are biometric identifiers (fingerprints) included, as well as criminal background info.

Over the years, I've drawn my own conclusions as to what happened, but have no interest in revisiting the mystery. I asked for the file because I am researching a book about my parents, and I want to fill in some of the details of Dad's life at the time of his murder.

I have 10 days to make my case to the AG. In the alternative, I would seek a redacted version where any info potentially embarrassing to persons living is stricken. I'd love get advice from anyone with a similar experience.

• ztim
    Favorite Answer

Have you tried hiring an attorney experienced with the Freedom Of Information Act? If it is public information, you should be able to get it within a reasonable amount of time.

If they have evidence from a murder of 28 years,why are they not arresting someone.?