yeshua777 asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Ear wax and water trapped in ear?

I am pretty sure I have water in my ear, and it won't come out. I went swimming yesterday and got water in my ears, but when I tried to get it out later that day, it wouldn't come out. I think it is because I have earwax build up inside my ear, because of using Q-Tips too often, and now the water got in and won't come out because of the ear wax build up. Does this seem correct? Also, my dad called the doctor and he prescribed some ear drops for an ear infection, even though my ears don't hurt or itch or anything. Now I'm worried that I'm using the wrong medication for the wrong symptoms. Are there any suggestions as to what's going on with my ear? Anything that can help? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I would actually go SEE the doctor not just get a script over the phone. They can tell you whether it's just water or if it's an infection.

• hren

Water Trapped In Ear

You have discribed perfectly what Surfer's Ear is all about, what you need is an ear wax removal kit, not only do you have water in the ear, but there could be a build up of some wax as well, have someone put a few drops of the liquid into your ear, wait about ten minutes and then with one of those squeeze balls, have someone go into the ear and remove the remains from the ear. That should clear the problem up, The next time you go surfing, put some ear plugs in your ear, so you won't have this problem again.

• Shibi

The drops prescribed by the doctor can help. Use them. Do you spend a lot of time in the water? Some ear canals are more prone to trapping water and wax buildup -- it's just how ears are. Use the drops from the doctor. In the future, aside from removing the earwax, if you get water trapped in there, tilt your head to the side and drop in a couple of drops of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol will help evaporate the water that is trapped in your ear canal. Good luck.

Source(s): My husband has this happen all the time. He has "swimmers' ear" from frequent surfing in cold water. He has those drops -- they do work. But when he doesn't want to see his doctor, I do the alcohol-thing right away and the water will evaporate without causing an ear infection.

Hey!

i just went to the doc about this 3 weeks ago, and she gave me some waxdrop things where i had little drops i put into my ears each day, then went to the nurse a week later where she took all the wax out ( the waxdrops are to make it easyer for them to take it out) and i had lots inthere, but its out now!, and i can hear so much better.

and yes it always felt like i had water stuck in there .

the stuff i was using was called waxsol ear drops.

if you dont have that maybe you should get that stuff then go to the nurse like me:)

hope i helped

The Doctor recommended to me years ago, whenever the wax seems built up, while in the shower, put half peroxide, half water in you ear, tip you head to the side, let it bubble the wax out then rinse under the shower head, then do the other ear. She said do not use q tips a lot because it just keeps pushing the wax further in.

i used ear medication when i had water in my ear. also i went to my doctor and she took a tool and put it in my ear and dug out a lot of ear wax. also i had water in my ear for like 3 days

Hmm.

I don't think you have an ear infection.

My ear's gotten "clogged" before because I used Q-Tips.

My doctor just cleaned my ear out. Maybe just suggest that?

Mainly because it doesn't even seem like the doctor looked at you.

go to a doctor and clean out ur ear

This will sound wierd and totally out there, but my mom and my step father used to do it. You need to get to some type of natural store and get these candles. You burn on end and put the other end in your ear...lay down while doing this and get help w/it so you don't hurt urself....it'll take the water and the wax out...its good to use the candles everynoe and then to get the wax out....