Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

why does it seem that Tim Russerts life was more important than those who died in Iraq, Viet nam, Korea?

Tim was another draft-dodger like bill clinton, sly stalone and a host of other political hacks living off the work of Americans. Why should he be honored for asking questions that did not solve any problems in this country?

Update:

agility man: lot of truth in your answer but the fact is Russert was not non-biased and his liberalism shone through with a passion. I guess only saps like myself got drafted and went to Viet Nam and suffered but you know what I would be ashamed to this day if i had avoid the destiny of Viet Nam.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. In Korean, Iraq and Vietnam, they've probably never heard of Tim Russert and he's unimportant to them. And the Iraqi's, Vietnamese and probably most of Korea doesn't place much value on us and our guys who died there, shame to say.

2. You seem to have an ideological issue here. Yeah, a lot of guys like Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney, Russ Limbaugh, George W. Bush looked for ways to avoid going to Vietnam. And others like Max Cleland, John McCain, Al Gore, Chuck Hegel, John Kerry and Bob Kerrey not only went, they volunteered. The reality of the 60's and 70's is that the vast majority of American males of military-service age chose to find ways to avoid going to Vietnam, regardless of their political affiliation. I think that's shameful but that was true under both democratic (LBJ) and republican (Nixon) administrations.

3. Tim Russert was, for a member of the media, a good guy. Unlike people like Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews, he never made the story about himself. He was widely respected by republican and democratic pundits (and that's pretty rare). First, there's value to having a free press. It does provide value to this country. And having guys who are willing to task tough questions of public figures is ESSENTIAL in a democracy. I'm sorry you feel that questions don't count. What Jonas Salk (inventor of the polio vaccine) once said is "The answers to our problems already exist--all we need to do is to discover the right questions." Questions matter. Second, if he was so worthless than viewership of his program would have been low, ad revenue would have dropped and the TV station (which is commercial) would have dropped it. So if you don't like the importance and publicity others in this country gave him, blame it on the public. If no-one watched than he'd have just been a retired campaign aide.

If you think there is someone who deserves more respect or coverage than they've gotten, take it on--do something about it. And if you don't like the accolades that Russert gets, than don't listen.

• marco
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

celebrity deaths are big news, they can distract people from what's really going on and focus their attention on what really matters, rich people

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.