Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

I can't take this anymore please please help?

I have generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks I was at the dr's a little over a month ago and I was told "physically" I'm fine, that really made me happy b/c up until that point I had been convinced I had some horrible heart condition and was having heart attacks constantly. My dr gave me .25mg of Xanax to take whenever I need them every 8-12 hours. I felt really, really good for about 3 weeks and barely took the Xanax, now out of nowhere I have been taking them everyday and even after taking them I am still a little edgy and I'm back to thinking I'm about to die, and checking my pulse all lthe time and mentally scanning my whole body for any signs of a heart attack. I'm only 27 I'm not overweight and don't have a family history of heart disease, but I can't take this I don't know why it's happening to me and I just want it to stop. How do I get over this so I can live a normal life again? I have no appetite, and I get nervous leaving my house for fear I'll have an attack.

Favorite Answer

oh boy do I know where you're coming from, I do the same thing you do, the pulse, if I went somewhere new then I had to know where the nearest hospital was, not so much now, once in a blue moon maybe, I too used to have them every day, or right after another. spontaneous panic attacks, I've been brought to the ER via ambulance more times than I can count, and nothing, I’m there for hours, one test after another, hooked up to a heart monitor, by the way I have to ask them to shut the sound the monitor off because it makes me panic just hearing my heart rate..I know..It’s a vicious circle, and sometimes by the time I got there I've already started feeling ok, my meds would kick in and the "flight or fight" feeling was gone. As far as telling yourself I'm not having a heart attack, I don't' know how long you'll feel that way, your life will get back to normal, Don't hide in the house, I did that for awhile too, then it went from being able to leave but staying very close to home and not staying anywhere overnight, home was my "protection" area, So once you start staying home, it gets worse, Try and get out, why your Dr. put you on Xanax I'll never know, I took that for years and years, then was weaned off and went onto clonipin.I take it when I wake up in the am and once again at 2 in the afternoon, they have become manageable, if I do get an attack I just take one right before I get in too deep , before that wave of fear goes from my toes and right over my head, please have the Dr. take you off xanax, go to a support group if you need to, it'll help.

A lot of people either don’t get this or they think we're talking about being anxious, which is Very different!!

My mother had panic attacks, maybe you should see if any member of your family also suffers from this.

GL I hope this helped

My best friend in high school was the same way he even had a bruise on his chest where he rubed it aways checking to make sure his heart was beating.when he finally told me what was going on with him taking his pluse all the time I kind of figured it out without him saying any thing. he had by then run up some huge dr bills and his parents were freaking out about it finally he went to a councilor and they gave him "paxil" which was a new drug back then but it seemed to help and the way you sound you are kind a going though the same thing maybe the more he worried the more his heath concerns built up in his mind and the more he worried ect...

the worse it got. but let someone know who is trained figure it out sounds like the MD gives you a clean bill of help now let someone who can help with the emtional side of it.

Peace.

I suffered too with anxiety at your age and was prescribed beta blockers to regulate my heart beat, as I was taking terrible palpitations every now and again..... Today I have been fine for many years and no longer fear I have a heart problem, I know now that it was anxiety, and that in its self can cause all sorts of medical problems, I would suggest you type in anxiety to your search engine, and learn about what you are suffering from..... Once you understand more about this condition you will find that your symptoms will get better very quickly........ I wish you well my dear and I do feel for you as I know what you are going through..... You will be ok... Take care...From Jean

get off the pills , and look for a nutritional way of controlling your problem . first thing is to flush out all the xanax out of your system , go running every morning drink chamomile tea @ night to help you relax , and find somebody to talk too , you can allways e mail me if you need support and have any questions ....

You already know the dr told you that your fine so you need to talk yourself down when you get scared. Let yourself know that you know the dr told you that your fine and that you just need to calm down. I know at first this will seem like it's not working but if your commited to calming down keep at it.

GAD will always make you think and nonstop worrying.what you can do with GAD is seeing the doctor regularly,take the medicine and you just need to assured yourself that nothing is gonna happen.force yourself to stop worried about it.think positively.but i know it's not really easy to do it.just try your best.hope you'll be feeling better.

If the question is worthy of a star I give it. My starred list has only 35 on it. Probaly small compared to some.

Could booze help?