1999 Audi A6 95k miles Throttle Body Issues?

I have a 1999 Audi A6. I was experiencing some problems with it where it would not let me go past 20mph. Recently I had to jump my car several times and I think it was the battery that caused it so I replaced it. But now the car dies suddenly after i start it up. I get a P1545 check engine light code which I know that code points to Throttle Position Controller Malfunction. So I bought a used Throttle Body from the junk yard and that didn't help. I dont know if that was bad also.

I have also tried to do a throttle body adaptation manually but everytime i try to erase the Check engine light code (with my obd II reader) it is still there. I even tried to remove the battery for 30 minutes and it wouldn't remove.

I then turned my key to the on position for 20 minutes and turned the key off and back on....Still nothing...

I am stuck on this...What do you guys suggest?

Also can someone give me instructions on how to do a throttle body adaptation with the VAG-COM?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

The P1545/17953 can be caused by a few things so why did you choose to replace the throttle body? It could also be a wiring problem or a bad control module. Here is the VAG-COM Throttle Body Adaptation info. IT WON'T WORK UNLESS YOU HAVE A REGISTERED VAG-COM........Cable-Throttle Engines

(These are engines with a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle, but WITHOUT an ISV.)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]

[01 - Engine]

[Measuring Blocks - 08]

Enter Group 098 (Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines)

[Go!]

[Switch to basic settings]

Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.

Click the [Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Engines using KW-1281

(These are engines WITHOUT a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle. Check to see if the engine speaks KW-1281 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KW-1281 engine controllers are 2000+ Golf/GTI/Jetta/New Beetle/Audi TT 1.8T)

[Select]

[01 - Engine]

[Measuring Blocks - 08]

Enter Group 060

[Go!]

[Switch to basic settings]

[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this! Good Luck.

Source(s): ASE Master Tech. 20+years exp. Own the VAG-COM.

Audi A6 Throttle Body

• Yvonne

I actually own a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro with close to 160,000 miles on it. It is by far a very reliable car, I drive it to work everyday and even to this day take it on long trips. Just a couple months ago, I drove it from Dallas, TX to Orlando, FL without any problems (Well over 1k miles each way). Like the other's are telling you, make sure to have the timing belt replaced before you purchase the car. It cost me $1,700 to get mine done at the dealership. I would also take the car to a independent mechanic to check it out (Check the engine oil & condition, These cars have sealed transmissions so you should request that they drop the transmission pan and check the fluids there too). I would also have the mechanic check the control arms & steering colunm. My Audi is a very good car and I would recommend this car to my mother. Just keep in mind that when you have regular maintenence performed on these cars, it will be more expensive. I only use synthetic oil in my audi, again this is a bit more expensive but it's worth it; oil changes for me are usually $55 and I only use premium gasoline and it usually cost me $40-$45 to fill the tank. If you're looking for a nice luxury/sports sedan, this is the car for you. It's fast, handles very well and very comfortable.