Jail/Prison stories?

Hi everyone- I'm in the early stages of researching jail and prison systems. Prior to this I didn't know there was a difference between the two, however it seems that most refer to prison as the long term facilities and jail as the cells in a police station itself. Does anyone know the longest period one can spend in a cell in a police station? And if the cells are single or shared? I'm sure it's different in many places but if anyone has some stories to share about the physical facilities and spending time in there for which crime I'd find it very helpful. xxx

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I was in prison for GBH. Part of my sentance was in a local category B prison. It was pretty intimidating. Don't imagine that it is like 'Porridge' with all the lags sticking together to fight the system... that's a load of cr&p!

Mostly it is full of scary people. The scariest are often the ones in for shorter sentences and petty crimes as they tend to have a more 'exploitative' criminal attitude. Some of the more serious violent offenders are sometimes much nicer folks (well... when they haven't had a drink!!)

There are loads of drugs in prison, it was the first time I saw heroin. Lucky for me drugs has never been my thing. The drugies can get really desperate and can bully weaker people in order to get their phonecards or tobacco (burn) to swap for drugs.

I sometimes felt so scared that I thought that I was going mad. I was guilty and deserved to be there.

I don't think standing in a cell or even entering a prison and pretending to be an inmate would really give you a real flavour of the experience.

Much of the experience of prison is an internal experience, a state of mind. Being an offender for real, knowing that you have a real victim is all part of it. Looking at the other prisoners and knowing that you deserve to be there with them.

Many inmates have really serious mental health problems. I think they would have been better off in a hospital. How can we talk about crimminal intent when a person is living in a completely distorted reality?

In the prison, mostly I had a cell mate, but sometimes not. I quite liked being alone, but even that can get to you after a while.

It was very dissorientating in prison. Most of my time (up to 23 hrs a day) we were locked up. This was over ten years ago, so no TV's!! The windows had a metal screen over them, so it was difficult to look out properly.

Later on in my sentance, I went to an open prison. I was totally bewildered for weeks. I could see flowers and grass and stuff. Everything seemed sparkly and unreal. It's hard to describe.

I was less scared in the open prison and had to be more organised. It was quite hard to come up to speed with that.

My last week in prison was strange. Suddenly I took on a calm, monastic feeling. There was a sort of peacefulness and security and I found the thought of going out a little overwhelming.

I left prison and went to work. I started having counselling and got VERY depressed, and anxious about leaving the house.

At the moment, I am in the process of completing a post-graduate level course in psychotherapy and work as a support worker.

Hope that helps you.

Best wishes.

Source(s): Life eh? (UK)
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?rOpS
  • 1 decade ago

Cells refer to the police, prison is where the naughty sods go (or rather should) either on remand or sentence. As for the amount of time they spend in the cells it depends on what the crime is etc. I take it this is not a question within England? If you're still interested you can find all this information on the web. The law also differs from Scotland/England.

Source(s): employment
  • MYRTEL
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

in england police hold prisoners until they appear in court, the next day. When sentenced prisoners are held in police cells because of prison overcrowding, the prisoners are subject to prison rules and prison rights. and must have the facilities held in a prison, such as TV, A BATH, GOOD MEALS ETC.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • why don't you ask people who did time to send you their stories from different city. That can help you with your research.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

swing us a line

drop a parcel

slop out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.