shutter count help?

I am hopeing to buy an slr camera from ebay why do i have to check out the shutter count and what number is best to go for.

thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The shutter count is how many pictures the camera has already taken. Also known as actuations. This number is important because the shutter mechanism is usually the first thing to fail on a (digital) SLR - the shutter blades are delicate and wear out.

Low end cameras, like Canon Rebels and the Nikon D40, D80 are rated for 50,000 shots.

Mid-level cameras, like the Canon 30D and Nikon D200 are rated for 100,000 shots.

Professional bodies are rated for 250,000 shots.

Usually a camera lasts a lot longer, but you'd have no reason to complain if it died after it reached the number it was rated for. And since a repair will set you back around $300, the lower the shutter count is on a used camera, the better.

You can check the actuation count yourself for most camera models with a free program called Opanda IExif Viewer. Open the most recent picture from a camera with this software and it will show you a ton of 'hidden' information.

And finally, put the shutter count in perspective - even if you take 500 pictures a month, it'll take almost two years to add another 10,000 shots to the counter... by which time you're probably ready for an upgrade anyway.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just buy a Canon 350D or a 400D, you won't go wrong.

Not a clue what shutter count is, if you mean shutter speed, those canons will do fine, and they have a feature where you can hold the shutter open for as long as you like

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pentax-K200D

Take note of the following paragraph, which is in the review.

"The lens mount is metal which is standard on any camera these days, but the lenses usually have a plastic mount. Kits for the K200D are available and the advantage of this is the 18-55mm lens having a metal mount as well. This promotes longevity and I think it's a great idea which could be a purchasing decider."

Got mine from Ebay.

• 1 decade ago

Go for Nikon or Canon every time. I've been into photography for years and have absolutley no idea what shutter count is....never been an issue for me I guess. If you mean shutter speed pretty much all cameras come with a wide range suitable for most situations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

do you mean the shutter speed?? if you do, then just go for one with as large a speed variation as possible.

i tihnk they generally go up to 10'000ths of a second, and can sometimes be set to have the shutter open for as long as you hold the camera button.

shutter speeds are partly what help to define the 'accuracy' of the image. a fast shutter speed will mean the camera is recieving light for only a tiny fraction of a second, so images are sharp. a slow shutter speed will mean light is hitting the lens for longer, and images can become blurry, however this efect is desirable if used properly.

of course theres plenty of ther settings to be looking for in a camera.

the aperture is another thing you might hear mentioned quite a lot when looking at cameras. the aperture is basically how wide the lens is. it can be altered to be the full size of the lens, right down to having only a fraction of the lens letting light in. it all ties in with the shutter speed too, but its a bit hard to exaplain in a short space.

basically its good to go for an aperture that goes as low as at least F2.8 and as high as possible too.

in other word, when looking at shutter speeds and apertures, go for the largest variation in sizes possible.

eg shutter speeds 10'000ths/sec - unlimited

apertures F1 - F24

• 1 decade ago

I do not suggest buying a camera from ebay

I did and got scammed BIG TIME

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.