Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians, what if you're wrong?

What if there is an all powerful god but he punishes those who think they know him and think they have a personal relationship with him because he knows that every religion has it wrong?

What if this god values altruism and the pursuit of knowledge above all else and punishes those who think they have it all figured out and impose their beliefs on others?

Wouldn't you feel a little silly with your dogma and your transubstantiation and your sects and your 'holy book' as you are burning in the lake of fire?

If there is a god, why would he value whether or not you believed his existence over how you act as a person?

This is where Pacal's wager falls apart for me.

You're thoughts?

Ok y'all missed the point of my "look silly" remark. You'd be BURNING in the lake of fire just like you accuse us of being headed to do, it would indeed be more than just 'silly' it would be an eternity of agonizing pain

Favorite Answer

Exactly, this is what I try to tell people. If God does exist, why would he care whether or not you spend your life believing a certain way. Why wouldn't just being a good person be enough? You have those Christians who preach "God hates fags" and they still believe they are going to heaven.

Since one (who does not believe) won't find out till it's over. The truth is found in The Word. The Bible is the ONLY prophetic book with a 100% track record, and true, pure science VALIDATES The Bible at every encounter, which, is of no surprise, since it was written there, before man had a clue. Where do ya think all these "brilliant" minds got the ideas to puzzle out? Myself, have seen the physical hand of The Almighty move, saving my life, and the life of my eldest daughter. There are many other instances which I could tell. The bottom line is I don't believe, I KNOW!!! So, being wrong, well, that just isn't an option for me, I KNOW the truth, and I'm free!

First of all, I believe in God and I love Jesus, but I have a real problem with believing that God is so hung up on punishing us. Many people seem to want to put certain limitations on God and/or want to believe that God spends much of his time being sad, depressed, angry, vengeful and all those other negative things. If God is all powerful...and I think he is...he can find a way to make himself happy. If Christians are wrong about their beliefs, I guess they'll just have to live and die with the consequences; it's exactly the same way for non-Christians, and it takes exactly as much faith to believe that God doesn't exist and to believe he does. We don't know that God values whether you believe in him or not over how you act as a person. What's also true is I have found that believing in God is a good thing for me because of what I get out of expressing thanks and gratitude; maybe it's not about what God wants; it's about how we choose to live our lives.

I agree that Pascal's wager is ridiculous. Either you believe or you don't.

The Christians you see that you don't like are not focusing on Jesus' true message - IMHO. The way I look at it is that the Bible is full of things that I believe and things that I don't understand and therefore cannot believe. I believe in Jesus because of my experiences with Him and everything else is just talking. His voice is gentle and His spirit is comforting.

Believing in Him doesn't mean that I believe people from all other religions are going to hell or that homosexuality is a sin or that abortion is murder. I just don't believe those things and I'm not going to say that I believe them in order to avoid some sort of punishment.

I DO believe that God is real and that He has a plan for our lives and that He loves us.

Source(s): Just my experience.

The problem with believers that accept Pascal's wager- is they believe it is 50/50. Either their religion is right or there is no god. They do not entertain the idea that some other religion is correct. If you consider all the religions ever practiced by men through out history there is probably 1000's. Each dogma is just as valid as another because none can be proven or disproven. The odds in reality are probably closer to 1/10,000.

EDIT

Adorehim-- and if you are wrong? does that mean you wouldn't want to be you?

If im Wrong Then I'll Look Silly But If Your Wrong Your Gona Wish Yu Looked Silly. God Wants Us To Believe His Way Because He is The Beginning And The End.

Christians don't impose their beliefs on others.

I believe there is more evidence for Christianity than any other religion.

If I'm wrong, which I doubt, I believe God will know I have not believed in vain.

I've become a better person, and I've followed the evidence that I have received about Him. Hence, I cared enough to look for Him and value Him--although in Christianity that warrants no merit.

If God is not the Christian God, which I believe He is, (and I believe He has shown me this) then He is One who has not shown us anything and therefore cannot fault my belief.

It's called faith... there's nothing silly about faith.

And if you don't believe or have your doubts, that's your choice. Don't you still want to be a decent human being while you're on this earth? Because believe me, you WILL die like each and every one of us. Having no belief of a higher power is not an excuse for being evil.

If God's relationship is comparitive to a parent/child relationship (the relationship the Bible itself compares it to) then it's easy to answer your question by substituting the word parent for God, and child for us. A "parent" would vallue whether or not you [acknowledged them as your parent] and how you act, as it represents Him. The part you can't work out, is that God loves those He created, He values a relationship with people.

• C

Honestly,

I am older than most of you, (44) and what I have found is that when I have been the most happy is when I was more closely following God's rules, and most sadness in my life was caused by not following them.

So for me, I get true happiness on this earth today, an eternity in heaven is a nice bonus.

Peace be with you.