Whats the total number of police officers in the US and do they do a good job?

Favorite Answer

There are approximately 800,000 law enforcement officers in the United States.

As far as the rest of your question, law enforcement officers doing questionable things are national news, but an officer doing a good job makes for boring news. This media frenzy gives you an unfair representation of how few bad officers there are.

Source(s): 16 years law enforcement
    • Kevin1 year agoReport

And that is why you are a perpetual victim. One person does something stupid and you label a whole group.

There are approximately 800,000 total law enforcement officers in the US. I know there are a lot of people that don't like police due to the negative picture the media places on them. There are definitely a handful of bad cops out there, but I think the 99+% of good police are given a bad name due to the media's misrepresentation of police as a whole when talking about the bad apples. I have been a police officer for 9 years and at my small agency, 15 certified, there isn't one of them I wouldn't back up as being completely ethical and there to do the job they were hired to do. To the 99+% who are doing the job they were hired to do, keep up the good work. To those of you out there who feel like you have been wronged or think all cops are criminals, get a grip!

Hell yeah they do.

I am not sure of the numbers but even if they sit back and do nothing people fear committing crime because they never know when ones around.

We can't blame the police for what they do... For the most part. Especially since they only enforce law, not create them.

I sometimes wonder if it's in best interest for the police to actually have a huge say in what laws exist and do not exist, but this won't happen. It is them, not the politician, that See's these crimes on a day to day basis.

Pelosi is from San Fran. I'm sure she will find some way to bail out her state, against the majority of people's votes. She believes illegals are "patriotic" and we are "unAmerican". Arnie wants to build prisons in MS and ship all the inmates down there. He figures it will save his state a couple $B a year. Should of thought of that before he allowed illegals to collect benefits for so many years.

I don't know the number of policemen and policewomen in the U.S., because there are so many types - city, county, state, federal, etc. But in my opinion, although they scare me on the road sometimes, I think they do a good job. I respect them.

I don't know how many there are. But my brother is a cop and he puts his life on the line everyday. So yes, they do a good job.

Too many, and No!

They take peoples guns away during national emergencies.

They violate people's Constitutional rights as a matter of procedure.

At every illegal detainment (traffic stop) they ask questions that violate your fifth amendment right not to testify against yourself, they search your car in violation of the fourth amendment and if you have a gun they take it away in violation of your 2nd amendment.

Then they violate the separation of powers while working as an officer of the executive branch of government, they act as an agent of the judicial branch by handing you a notice to appear in court .

All police officers working traffic are criminals that can't be held accountable to the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND because they are the ones with the guns and they use them to take our money to perpetuate their abuse of power and violation of the rights of the people THEY SWORE AN OATH to uphold. That makes them LYING criminals.

.

A lot, and no, they don't do a good job. Here in America they rape women, and beat up people.