Why do shelters make it nearly impossible to adopt an animal?

i have tried adopting from our "humane society" in the past but was turned down because i rented. another time, they wouldnt let us adopt a puppy because of its breed and i have kids. this was 2 different places. another "humane society" in dearborn mich, wont adopt out to smokers. and... show more i have tried adopting from our "humane society" in the past but was turned down because i rented. another time, they wouldnt let us adopt a puppy because of its breed and i have kids. this was 2 different places. another "humane society" in dearborn mich, wont adopt out to smokers. and they'll only adopt large dogs out to ppl who own the home and have a privacy fence. so, i bought my dog and cat, and my sister in law bought her dog. everyone is happy, and well cared for. it just seems like these places WANT to euthanise. dont you think that taking a chance with a normal family is better than death for the animals? isnt a smokers home better than none at all? ok, so a dog might not live as long with a smoker... but ill bet if dogs can talk, they would all say they'd rather live a happy 10 years with a smoker then die in a shelter. i just find it very hard to believe that the majority of honest people could live up to the standards these places require
Update: i wonder what ever happened to that lab shepard mix that was licking my son's fingers through the cage, yet was not appropiate for my family. i tried.
Update 2: my point is, that with the amount of animals being killed every day, it just seems like they could loosen up a little bit. there are plenty of good homes out there, maybe not perfect, but, still good. i wanted to do the right thing and go to a shelter. i tried at 2 different shelters. i can provide (pay for)vet... show more my point is, that with the amount of animals being killed every day, it just seems like they could loosen up a little bit. there are plenty of good homes out there, maybe not perfect, but, still good. i wanted to do the right thing and go to a shelter. i tried at 2 different shelters. i can provide (pay for)vet care, food, shelter, love, activity etc... but i was not good enough. im just saying, with the AVERAGE family, they have a chance. in a shelter, WAY less of a chance.
Update 3: actually nekai, i tried at one shelter in westland michigan and they truned me down because i rented. so i lied at the place in ann arbor(with the shep mix) they refused us because of my son. my sis-in-law tried in dearborn (totally dif occasion) and they were approved until they came to her house and saw there... show more actually nekai, i tried at one shelter in westland michigan and they truned me down because i rented. so i lied at the place in ann arbor(with the shep mix) they refused us because of my son. my sis-in-law tried in dearborn (totally dif occasion) and they were approved until they came to her house and saw there chain link fence and that my bro smoked. that is IT. no other reasons.
Update 4: btw, i shoulda mentioned this earlier, i bought my dog from an ad from a lady that was diagnosed with lupus right after buying the puppy. i would never buy from a pet store!
Update 5: nekai: this dog was a puppy. i'd say 12-15 weeks old? lab/shep mix. i also told them that i grew up with a german shepard(which is true), i understand the breed and was prepared to train it. nope nope and nope. it was hyper but damm, a lil training and excersize...still a clean slate at that age!