can you give me a lists of ecologists that contributed most on the field of ecology...?

i already search on every site that i know but i can't find them....

if you say wikipedia..? well.... there are many of them and i can't click one by one all the links on them....

if you can help me then its really appreciated...

thanks...!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a long list, but here are the major players in ecology.

Foundational concepts:

Stephen A. Forbes, Henry Chandler Cowles, Frederic E. Clements, H. A. Gleason, Joseph Grinnell, A. J. Nicholson and V. A. Bailey

Theoretical Advances:

Frank W. Preston, G. Evelyn Hutchinson, Lamont C. Cole, Robert M. May, Robert H. MacArthur and Eric R. Pianka, Vito Volterra, J. G. Skellam

Ecological Debate

Joel G. Kingsolver and Robert T. Paine, A. G. Tansley, G. E. Hutchinson, Nelson G. Hairston, Frederick E. Smith, and Lawrence B. Slobodkin, Paul R. Ehrlich and Peter H. Raven, J. L. Harper, Thomas W. Schoener

Methodological Advances:

Lennart von Post, P. H. Leslie, L. C. Birch, C. S. Holling

Warren P. Porter and David M. Gates, J. Roger Bray and J. T. Curtis, Eugene P. Odum

Case Studies in Natural Systems:

J. Davidson and H. G. Andrewartha, John M. Teal, Margaret B. Davis , Alex S. Watt, Robert H. MacArthur, John Langdon Brooks and Stanley I. Dodson

Experimental Manipulations in Lab and Field Systems:

H. B. D. Kettlewell (1955), Thomas Park, C. B. Huffaker, Joseph H. Connell, Robert T. Paine, Daniel S. Simberloff and Edward O. Wilson, Gene E. Likens, F. Herbert Bormann, Noye M. Johnson, D. W. Fisher, and Robert S. Pierce

Source(s): Foundations of ecology : classic papers with commentaries
  • Phil
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Here is a short list of very influential ecologists:

R.H. MacArthur - influential during the early years of ecology, major theoretical advances.

E.O. Wilson - Major theoretical advances and biodiversity conservation.

D. Janzen - Major advances to tropical ecology and conservation.

Al Gentry - Major advances to tropical ecology and conservation.

P.M. Vitousek - Modern global change ecologist.

D. Tilman - Modern ecologist with major contributions towards ecosystem/biodiversity function.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Frederic Edward Clements

Henry Ford

Frank Edwin Egler

Robert E. Horton...these are the only ecologists i know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.