Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

everybody knows india's nightigale....... has anybody heards her songs?

voice of her or any songs

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sarojini Naidu (February 13, 1879 - March 2, 1949), known as Bharatiya Kokila (The Nightingale of India), was a child prodigy, freedom fighter, and poet. As a poetess giving voice to renascent nationalism, Sarojini Naidu was acclaimed the 'Nightingale of India'. Naidu was the first Indian woman to become the President of the Indian National Congress and the first woman to become the governor of Uttar Pradesh. She was active in the Indian Independence Movement, joining Mahatma Gandhi in the Salt March to Dandi, and then leading the Dharasana Satyagraha after the arrests of Gandhi JI, Abbas Tyabji, and Kasturba Gandhi.

Sarojini Naidu was born in Hyderabad, India as the eldest daughter of scientist, philosopher, and educator Aghornath Chattopadhyaya, and Varada Sundari Devi, a poetess. Her father was the founder of the Nizam College, and also the first member of the Indian National Congress in Hyderabad with his friend Mulla Abdul Qayyum. He was later dismissed from his position as Principal and even banished in retaliation for his political activities. Sarojini Naidu learnt to speak Urdu, Telugu, English, Persian and Bengali. Her favorite poet was P.B. Shelley.

She attained national fame for entering Madras University at the age of twelve. At sixteen, she travelled to England to study first at King's College London and subsequently at Girton College, Cambridge.

At the age of 17, she met Dr. Muthyala Govindarajulu Naidu and fell in love with him. He was from Andhra Pradesh. After finishing her studies at the age of 19, she married him during the time when inter-caste marriages were not allowed. Her marriage was a very happy one. They were married by the Act (1872), in Madras in 1898. They had 4 children: Jayasurya, Padmaja, Randheer, and Leelamani.

Poetry, writings and quotes:

In 1905, the first volume of her collection of poems was published as The Golden Threshold. Two more volumes were published: The Bird of Time (1912) and The Broken Wing in (1917).

Sarojini Naidu is also well acclaimed for her contribution to poetry. Her poetry had beautiful words that could also be sung. Her collection of poems was published in 1905 under the title “Golden Threshold”. She published two other collections called “The Bird of Time”, and “The Broken Wings”. Later, “The Magic Tree”, “The Wizard Mask”, and “A Treasury of Poems” were published.

Naidu writes:

:Shall hope prevail where clamorous hate is rife,

Shall sweet love prosper or high dreams have place

Amid the tumult of reverberant strife

'Twixt ancient creeds, 'twixt race and ancient race,

That mars the grave, glad purposes of life,

Leaving no refuge save thy succoring face ?

Naidu said, "When there is oppression, the only self-respecting thing is to rise and say this shall cease today, because my right is justice."Naidu adds, "If you are stronger, you have to help the weaker boy or girl both in play and in the work."

Reference 2:

Available songs are listed below.

A) FOLK SONGS:

Palanquin-Bearers

Wandering Singers

Indian Weavers

Coromandel Fishers

The Snake-Charmer

Corn-Grinders

Village-Song

In Praise of Henna

Harvest Hymn

Indian Love-Song

Cradle-Song

Suttee

B) SONGS FOR MUSIC

Song of a Dream

Humayun to Zobeida

Autumn Song Alabaster

Ecstasy

To my Fairy Fancies

C) POEMS

Ode to H. H. the Nizam of Hyderabad

In the Forest

Past and Future Life

The Poet's Love-Song

To the God of Pain

The Song of Princess Zeb-un-nissa

Indian Dancers

My Dead Dream

Damayante to Nala in the Hour of Exile

The Queen's Rival

The Poet to Death

The Indian Gipsy

To my Children

The Pardah Nashin

To Youth

Nightfall in the City of Hyderabad

Street Cries

To India

The Royal Tombs of Golconda

To a Buddha seated on a Lotus

PALANQUIN BEARERS

Lightly, O lightly we bear her along,

She sways like a flower in the wind of our song;

She skims like a bird on the foam of a stream,

She floats like a laugh from the lips of a dream.

Gaily, O gaily we glide and we sing,

We bear her along like a pearl on a string.

Softly, O softly we bear her along,

She hangs like a star in the dew of our song;

She springs like a beam on the brow of the tide,

She falls like a tear from the eyes of a bride.

Lightly, O lightly we glide and we sing,

We bear her along like a pearl on a string.

INDIAN WEAVERS

Weavers, weaving at break of day,

Why do you weave a garment so gay? . . .

Blue as the wing of a halcyon wild,

We weave the robes of a new-born child.

Weavers, weaving at fall of night,

Why do you weave a garment so bright? . . .

Like the plumes of a peacock, purple and green,

We weave the marriage-veils of a queen.

Weavers, weaving solemn and still,

What do you weave in the moonlight chill? . . .

White as a feather and white as a cloud,

We weave a dead man's funeral shroud.

46 songs of Sarojini Naidu are available at reference 3.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yeah, a number of 'em. The talking Heads are cool, and so's Iggy Pop. The treatment (did not be responsive to they did a conceal of crimson Haze, yet now I gotta verify it out), Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, The Butthole Surfers (specifically situations, and hehe), The lifeless 60s (i'm not incredibly into them, yet they're kinda exciting, Billy Idol, Dandy Warhols (lower back, at times) and Seal (so-so)... ok- regarded on the treatment's conceal of crimson Haze, and gotta say, i like the unique greater effectual. warm warm warm is and A wooded area are, in my view, The treatment's 2 maximum suitable songs... i think of it is cool that they actually placed their very own spin on the music (crimson Haze) nevertheless...

• 6 years ago

the nightingale of india is sarojini naidu.i have heard her song

it was one of the great memories of my lifetime

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.