what does," to Welsh on a bet" mean? Is it as derogatory as it sounds?

Okay, I just googled Welsh and here is what I came up with...

welsh (wlsh, wlch) also welch (wlch)

intr.v. welshed also welched, welsh·ing also welch·ing, welsh·es also welch·es Informal

1. To swindle a person by not paying a debt or wager.

2. To fail to fulfill an obligation.

[Origin unknown.]

welsher n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

welsh or welch

Verb

welsh on to fail to pay (a debt) or fulfil (an obligation) [origin unknown]

Here in the US we say Welsh, not so much Welch and I do think the origin is derogatory as Shadowman has stated. It sounds like when the term, gypped or gipped is used, which also means A fraud or swindle.One who defrauds; a swindler. This is taken from Gypsy and is also derogatory. I was just wondering how many other terms we unknowingly use or hear which can be very offensive? Anyone?

Roddy, what the heck is a sheep sha**er? It sounds like you just called me a nasty name uncommon in the US. But then I've never actually seen a live sheep as you probably have.

Thanks Dr. V. Siva and Roddy. Great explanations and now I learned something new about the Welsh and the UK. Here in Minnesota, we mainly have cows and horses and never in my 54 years heard of a sheep shagger. I feel a little embarrassed. hee hee hee! Can you answer this question now? Wales is to Great Britain as -------- is to -------.

Sorry but our geography schooling is not the best here in the US.

• Bear
    Favorite Answer

The term was deemed racist,a few years ago.I remember there was a court case about it,sorry no more info.

As for stereotyping people -

Welsh are backstabbers

Scots are mean with money

Irish are thick

English are basta*ds

Only the last one is true.

Wales is to the UK,as Tibet is to China!

Cymru am byth.

1

Source(s): 100% Sport Predictions Picks - http://WinningPicks.oruty.com/?jGn

The word you are looking for is 'welch' - it applies particularly to the British Celts (Welsh).

As I am a Brythonic Celt (Welsh) myself, I have a free hand without preducide to explain the meaning of the phrase, to Welsh or Welch on a bet or deal.

In Celtic culture there is no difference between this life and the next and the next life after that etc forever.

Therefore from a purely Celtic viewpoint, if I owed money in this life but for some reason was unable to pay it, then quite naturally I would pay off the debt in the next life or the one after that.

It has been understood by non-Celts (Anglo Saxons) that the Welsh therefore cannot be trusted - so the word Welsh/Welch is used to describe a person who does not pay up when the debt is due to be paid etc.

Hope that helps - here's more. . . .

Appendix:Glossary of idioms - W - Wiktionarywelch on a deal; welsh on a deal, AUS, UK, To not follow the terms of an agreement. Although many Welsh people regard this phrase as insulting towards the ...

http://www.en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossar...

If some Welsh folk feel insulted by the expression to Welsh on a deal, then take comfort in this. In the Welsh language there is no name for England - it is simply called 'lost land'. That is, land which was owned by the British, who will one day claim it back - dream on lovely boy. . . .!

Meanwhile - here's Rhod Gilbert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaWX1cc8xNk

Youtube thumbnail

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot welsh bet quot derogatory sounds: https://shortly.im/XPziE

Welch On A Bet

• Bink

welsh bet derogatory sounds

If the word "gyp" is deemed offensive (as to "gyp" someone out of something...to cheat them out of something), then we need to standardize things. To "welsh" someone out of a bet is to refer to people of white/European descent in a derogatory manner. You can't have it both ways - you can't claim offense to one set of words while "conveniently" ignoring terms offensive to other races and peoples.

The world has shown selective cherry-picked outrage over so-called offensive terms. The NCAA banned the usage of Chief Illiniwek, the Indian symbol of the University of Illinois. Yet nobody has banned the Notre Dame "Fighting Irish" which depicts a possibly drunken and fists cocked white person stereotypically ready to fight after a night at the pubs.

It's a double standard when one group is "forced" by the politically correct ruling class to behave right, while other groups are given a complete and total pass.

One definition ( Brewer's Dictionary) says it comes from the

old nursery rhyme "Taffy was a Welshman , Taffy was a thief . So if you are dishonest you Welsh . Sorry , it's not me saying that , it is in the dictionary !

Edit: I am always amused when the Welsh , Scots or Irish slag off the English , they must be really insecure . I went out of my way to say I did not agree with the etymology of the phrase , but the others are being downright insulting to the English . You should grow up .

• Erika

Welching

2

An English Prince of Wales reneged on his debt to someone and the term "To Welch" was born soon afterwards.