What does this mean if I got this in an IM message: C:\WINDOWS\hinhem.scr ?

Basically I got this message from my niece when I was offline and I don't know what the heck it is.

Favorite Answer

.SCR is a screensaver extension. It is weird you got that as an IM message. It is possible she might have accidentally cut and paste something. First, I would look in your windows folders to see if that screensaver actually exists. If it doesn't, I would run a good anti-virus (not Norton's). Actually, you may want to try a couple free ones or trial ones, like NOD32, AVG, Avast, or something else. There is a virus called hinhem.scr.

I suppose that malware is spreading itself via IM's - there are security holes in them. Your niece may be unaware her system is infected as well (probably, only hers). Anyway, if you do a virus scan and advise same to your niece, most likely on of the computers will have some virus detected:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Free-Online-Virus-Scan

Note: files with the extension .scr are widely exploited by malware makers because they're executed by Windows and can give access to all computer resources.