I have just bought this HP printer (photosmart D5160), I got 3 inks, tricolor cartridge, black...?

cartridge and photo cartridge. But the printer has only 2 slot! What should I use? What are the inks for? can anybody help?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What you have is the ability to install the Black Cartridge then Either Or the Tricolor or Photo Cartridge depending on what type of printing you plan to do. One the Cartridges is opened it should be used completely before opening another as they very quickly dry up and problems will arise.

HP Photosmart D5160

URL: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam...

I Hope this Helps!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

The first thing to do is lightly clean the cartridge contacts in the printer with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol. To clear a clogged cartridge remove the label and save it to paste back on when returning it to Staples for $2.00. Block off all the holes with masking tape except 1,. cut a drinking straw down to about 4", put it over the hole and blow into it until ink comes out of the head. Do this on all other black ink holes and individual colors. The cheap HP black cartridges have only 3 out of five holes if your recharging. More expensive ones have ink in all five holes. Use a toothpick to tell you what colors to charge and to find dead holes (2) in HP cartridges. Cover the holes when finished with masking tape and glue on the original label when returning it for $2.00 at Staples.

• 1 decade ago

As you are using HP Photos mart D5160 printer, HP recommends to use Photo and Tricolor cartridge combinations to get good picture quality.

Source(s): Photo cartridge + Tricolor Cartridge
  • 1 decade ago

You normally have tri-colour and black, it should say on the slots what the cartridges are. Have a look in the manual and see what it says there, but as I've already said, it's usually tri-colour and black.

Hope this helps and have a good evening friend ;-)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Maybe one is just a extra. Try looking on your manual and see what it says.

According to here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/q7091a.pdf

There really shouldn't be any other inks, but HP can make mistakes.

• 1 decade ago

use the color and black for normal printing. use the color and photo when printing pictures.

• 1 decade ago

perhaps it came with instructions

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.