Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Why did Stephenie Meyer choose the name "Cullen"?

This is probably a very idiodic question. But why did Stephenie Meyer choose the last name Cullen the Twilight series? The main reason I'm asking I guess is because my last name is Cullen and I've just never seen anybody else, or heard of anyone else with the last name Cullen, I seriously thought I was the only person in the world with that last name lol. I just found it odd that she chose that name for some reason O.o

Best Answer

Not having read Twilight, my guess is that it refers to 'culling' the herd--vampires, as predators, are seen as culling the herd of humans, or cutting them down to a more manageable size.

In Irish, Cuilinn (anglicized to Cullen) does mean (roughly) 'handsome boy,' as the previous poster said, too, speaking as someone who's passably fluent in the language. The girls' name Colleen derives similarly, though it's simply Irish for 'girl.'

She originally titled it Forks but the publicist didn't like it so she had to change it. When asked if she picked the title she said: Twilight was not the easiest book to title. When I started sending out queries, I called it Forks for lack of a better idea. The first thing my agent advised me was that the title was going to have to change. We played around with a lot of different titles, and nothing seemed to convey the right feel. We brainstormed through emails for about a week. The word twilight was on a list of "words with atmosphere" that I sent her. Though these words were meant to be used in combination with something else, the word twilight stood out to both of us. We decided to try it out, and, after a little adjustment time, it started to work for both of us. It isn't absolutely perfect; to be honest, I don't think there is a perfect title for this book (or if there is, I've never heard it). When I look at the titles other countries have used (examples: Germany: Bis zum Morgengrauen which is "Until Dawn" or "Bite" if you add an "s" to make it "biss" (if you look at the German book cover on the Twilight International page); Finland: "Temptation;" France: "Fascination;" and Japan, which has split it into three separate books: "The Boy Whom I Love is a Vampire," "Blood Tastes Sadness," and "The Vampire Family in the Darkness."), it seems like I might be right about that. (Both New Moon and Eclipse were much easier to title, and the titles also fit better.) And the cover - The apple on the cover of Twilight represents "forbidden fruit." I used the scripture from Genesis (located just after the table of contents) because I loved the phrase "the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil." Isn't this exactly what Bella ends up with? A working knowledge of what good is, and what evil is. The nice thing about the apple is it has so many symbolic roots. You've got the apple in Snow White, one bite and you're frozen forever in a state of not-quite-death... Then you have Paris and the golden apple in Greek mythology—look how much trouble that started. Apples are quite the versatile fruit. In the end, I love the beautiful simplicity of the picture. To me it says: choice.

When I was in high school, there was a girl in my class whose last name was Cullen. Her father's name is Edward, actually.

He's not a vampire and he doesn't sparkle, though.

lol good qs....but ur very lucky to have cullen as ur real last name lol if u notice my yahoo last name is cullen but that really isnt my last name... i wish it was....

i dont know choose a last name from the hat lol

cuz she felt like it?

Great book. Lucky. Very cool last name.

i don't know who she choose it but i like that name

haha, that is what my best friend said to me! Her name is Kara Cullen, amazing. My other friend didn't believe me but now she does, idk why she chose it.

OMG!!! that is sooooo wierd! not the question, but that my boyfriend's name is dalton and i luv luv luv EDWARD CULLEN!!!!! OMG THAT IS SO FREAKY!!

Omg so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~MMs~

i THINK (don't know) that it's irish / gaelic for handsome...

(i came across it once before)

OMG hahaha your last name is Cullen?

JEALOUS!!!

You can now say... oh yeah, i'm married to Edward Cullen..! lol

Source(s): obsessed twilight fangirl! <3