Sin and Temptation?

Dr. David Jeremiah from Turning Point stated that being tempted is not sin but yielding to temptation is sin.

Your view?

Favorite Answer

It is absolutely impossible to not be tempted. Even Jesus was tempted but he didn't ever sin. Everyone can choose not to sin but eventually be will trip up. That's why Jesus died on the cross: to pay for our sins so we could have communication and a relationship with God. Temptation isn't a sin.

I agree. Being tempted is not a sin.

Yeilding to temptation is sin - resisting it is righteousness.

If being tempted was a sin then Jesus is not sinless for He was tempted three times in the wilderness by the devil. But Jesus is indeed sinless and He resisted the devil and all of the temptation. Therefore Jesus proved His righteousness through that temptation.

With every temptation the believer has an opportunity to choose righteousness over sin. It is God's Spirit within us that gives us that capacity.

<(((><

"Bizzil..." (below) has also made a good point but has mistated something in the last sentence of the post. I believe he meant to say "Being tempted and YEILDING for the benefit of others is Love not sin." (He inadvertantly wrote "resisting" instead of "yelding".)

<(((><

By the way, if you are listening to Dr. David Jeremiah you are listening to an excellent source! I have heard him often and he is an excellent Bible teacher! Keep listening!!!!

Yielding to temptation is not a sin either if what you are being tempted to do is not a sin.

Acting out of selfishness is a sin if it takes from another person. Love is treating others like you would like to be treated.

Being tempted and resisting for the benefit of others is Love not sin.

I agree. Being tempted is not a sin. Everyone is tempted, even Jesus was tempted. The devil, human nature, this world will always have temptations. It is when you give in that is sin.

Sure , we all have desires and wants . Jesus wanted food after fasting 40 days and 40 nights , but satan tempting Him , does not mean He is evil , it's when we yeild or reach for the fruit and eat it , like eve did , is when we sin .

To be tempted means satan is on your trail because you are in Gods will . And the bible say count it all joy when you fall into diverse temptations , for the testing of your faith will produce patients .

I don't know who Dr. Jeremiah is, but he is absolutely correct. You have no control over what Satan tempts you with, but you do have control over giving in to the temptation. He's right.

I agree with Mr. Jeremiah on this point. There is a place in the Bible ( I think it is Jesus speaking in one of the 4 gospels) that states this.

( There are other points that I do not agree with Mr. Jeremiah about, so I almost never listen to him)

• Deb

right on target. After all, JESUS was tempted....and the Bible says He was sinless.