Jalz asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Are viruses Living or Non Living Organisms?

Explain please...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They are inbetween. Viruses CANNOT be classified as living organisms because alone they cannot replicate, they need a host (another living cell) to replicate. They do not have cells. Biologically speaking they are non-living things.

• ...Show all comments
    • 6 years agoReport

why classify them as non-living. how do you classify a seed before it is planted. or a cassava stem. i believe science is wrong in classifying viruses as non-living. life exists in cells and not only as an organism. i believe viruses only know how to adapt so well that we say they are non-living.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): The Best Antivirus Software - http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?SZlG
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Not living because they do not have the same characteristics of a living organism.. They cannot do anything without a host. They cannot reproduce without a host, have an energy source, react to their environment, they can stay dormant for millions of years. This is why they are difficult to detect. They inject nucleic acid and attach themselves to a living organism. This question differs based on who you ask. In my opinion, they aren't alive

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Viruses are the borderline between living and non-living organisms. In my bio class I learnt that bacteria is the smallest living organism.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Viruses are not living things because they can not live outside the body of living organism.Despite they have some of the living molecules such as DNA/RNA,proteins,lipids and carbohydrates but they are not true living organisms but they are pseudo-living organisms.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Are viruses Living or Non Living Organisms?

Explain please...

Source(s): viruses living living organisms: https://tr.im/1lS1z
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Biological viruses are nonliving until they find a host (the thing or person they are infecting) that IS living, so they can live off of them

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They are neither living nor they are non living, for one main reason : wen they are inside an organism they are alive and can reproduce but outside the organism they exist as crystals and are not alive ! because they lack they ability to reproduce outside the living organism !

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Bio-virus are non living because they are not made up of living cells.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

both

when they are in a cell they are said to be alive

when outside a cell they are crystalline and said to be dead

so they are on the border of live and dead

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.