Just a Poll..... Do you find the Confederate Flag offensive??

If so, why?? And if you don't find it offensive, what does the the confederate flag mean to you?? I am a southern gal, and I take PRIDE in the South!! In my opinion, the flag represents the South, it's heritage, and hospitality. When I look at the confederate flag, I think of all the Civil War Soldiers, who lost their life to keep their great States the way they were in that day and time. But it is just a symbol. What does this symbol mean to you and why?? No one person is right, or wrong, it is a matter of opinion. SO PLEASE DON'T BLAST SOMEONE OVER HIS/HER OPINION!! Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

Well, I was born and raised in the south (tennessee) and I will tell you what I thought of it. It does seem offensive to me, becaue although it is supposed to sybolize southern heritage and whatever, we also think it has a meaning that has to do with racism also, and the only peolpe that seem to wave that flag are rednecks (no offense) and they hold that flag high as an "in your face" type of way. I know many white who never wave that flag, and even if I am proud of being from the south I would never wave that flag, because it doesn't mean anything to me and people to tend to wave that flag are reacist (not saying u are)

All i know about that flag is, when the north and the south were divided.. the North had the flag that looks almost like the American flag now and they had no slave states... and the South had the confederate flag, and had slaves.. and they wanted it to STAY that way in the south. But it didnt happen, right? So why would u wanna wave that flag??? Because its more to it than just southern pride and heritage. Just admit it..

I do find the confederate flag offensive. When I look at the flag, I see the horror of slavery and the people who fought to keep African Americans viewed as lesser human beings and to be worked like dogs in the fields.

I do like the south and the heritage of the famous hospitality. However, it makes me sad that the famous hospitality would have never been extended to me, because of the color of my skin.

Source(s): My opinion.

I am not sure. I am a Northerner from New York and I do understand that it's a part of Southern heritage. It's just that when racist groups begin holding that flag and having their KKK rallies do I see it as bit offensive. That flag stood for preservation of slavery. I guess it depends on who's holding the flag.

It does not offend me in my view. possibly something to do with me being an Anglo Southern who had ancestors who fought below that flag. nonetheless, i'm soft to the shown fact that it does offend others and that i will comprehend their reasoning. i'm not one to have it striking on my front room wall or putting it up in the decrease back window of my pickup. In some methods you possibly can link it to the German Swastika of the 1930's - 40's and there are some parallels. in the fashionable age, the CSA conflict flag has advance into synonymous with slavery. in the comparable way the Swastika has advance into synonymous with The Holocaust. on the time the flags have been in use, nevertheless, the topics have been very diverse. maximum Germans did not approve of 'the astonishing answer'; few even knew approximately its existence. They have been only patriots of their united states, comparable as incredibly incredibly everyone else. in the comparable vein, basically a small minority of accomplice electorate could have the money for to possess slaves. Slavery as a company wasn't something that the final public of Southerners could ever be in contact in. lots of people who went off to conflict did so by way of fact they nevertheless they have been protecting themselves from the enormous, undesirable Federalists, to not propagate slavery. On a diverse word, the human rights violations of the jap in the time of WWII are properly documented. Many mainland chinese language nonetheless harbor a good grudge for the atrocities dedicated via the jap invaders. however the jap conflict flag (the increasing sunlight with crimson rays extending out) is seen very hip in recent times and usually included into clothing. in the top, some incredibly everyone seems to be offended via an incredible many things that offend others in no way. We each could opt for how lots of a carry they have on our lives.

I find it offensive because the people that usually show it off where I live are very racist. I also don't like some of the history that is behind that flag.

It's definitely offensive to a lot of people. It represents racial hatred, lynchings, slavery and many things that Americans don't want to glorify.

No, it's not offensive, it's a part of american history. They still fly it over the state capital in north carolina.

I wouldn't put one up because I would feel insensitive. Same goes for getting rid of an old black mammy kitchen figurine I used to have.

No, it is not offensive, it is an American Flag!

I don't find it offensive.