Question for vegetarians. Do you eat clams, oysters, or scallops?

I have been a vegetarian for over a month now and its going great. When I got together with my family they were shocked. I told them that I don't eat any animals. I won't eat anything with a face or heart. My younger cousin said that oysters don't have faces or hearts. So what is the difference between eating fruits and vegetables that are alive and scallops or clams? That got me thinking. Do clams, oysters, mussels, or scallops have faces? Do they feel like a fish does or are they more like vegetables? I am not trying to find ways to eat "meat", but I would like to know what you guys think.

I don't want to eat mollusks. It just came up that there is not much difference from mollusks and vegetables or fruits. Its like mollusks are between seafood (fish, shrimp, crabs and lobsters) and vegetables and fruits. Vegetables and fruit and are alive. When you pick them they technically die. I don't think a peach feels anything. I've heard that mollusks don't feel like lobsters or crabs do when you boil them. Like I said a couple of times, I am not trying to find ways around being a "real vegetarian". Like other people have said its really where you draw the line or what you are willing to eat. What you consider being a vegetarian and what are the reasons for you doing it.

Best Answer

Whether or not you want to eat molluscs (clams, oysters, scallops etc.) is up to you. However, as molluscs are animals, eating them would mean you are not technically a vegetarian anymore.

When I became a vegetarian (and later vegan) my decision was based upon not wanting to cause animals unnecessary pain and death.

My question was not: do they have a face? but do they suffer?

Evolution has given animals the ability to feel pain in order to avoid dangerous, life threatening, situations. Molluscs have a simple nervous system, and are quick to close their shells/move away from the sensation of touch. Therefore, I err on the side of caution and believe that molluscs are most likely able to feel pain.

Source(s): Vegan zoology honours student

1

Source(s): Paleo Recepies eBook http://netint.info/CompletePaleoRecipeGuide

They're animals. If depends on how vegetarian you want to be, and on the reasoning behind your decision.

Personally, I don't eat any animal, regardless of how sophisticated its nervous system is. In my eyes, an animal is an animal. Saying that, I used to eat fish because the majority of fish leads a free life until it's caught, as opposed to being farmed.

Think of it this way- where do you draw the line? If you say oysters are ok, then what about snails? What about crab? What about tuna? What about shark?

Do Clams Have Hearts

• Ali

A vegetarian would not eat clams, oysters, or scallops because they are part of the animal kingdom as some would put it and a vegetarian would not eat it .

Vegetarians do not eat anything of the animal kingdom. Those are all animals.

Even though they do not have a central nervous system, they do have a nervous system. They may be conscious, they may not. You can never prove it either way.

I really have no concern for such creatures but they serve a purpose in the marine ecosystems and people have already done enough damage in that area.

You can be a vegetarian in many degrees.

Some don't eat meat

Some don't eat meat, fish, or shell fish

Some don't eat meat, fish, shell fish, or any dairy.

Do what you feel comfortable with and what works best for you.

And no one is perfect, you may have times that you slip from a craving, doesn't mean you are a horrible person, just try and get right back into your preferred diet.

I'm right there with you. I don't eat meat at all, or shell fish, but I tell you what...I love fish and chips and I'm not going to say I haven't slipped on that a few times a year. Especially summer time, I just crave halibut and chips. Yes, I feel like a huge toad afterward, but I just try harder the next time to say, no.

clams, oysters, scallops, crab, lobster, shrimp, are all unclean...they are the waste filtering system in the water...they dispose of the garbage and the dead....

it would be like chewing on a fish tank filter...ICK!!

That's great you decided to go vegetarian- congratulations and good luck.

If you eat any kind of fish or any other animal flesh (including any kind of shellfish), you are not vegetarian. Pescatarians, Pollotarians (or Pollo-vegetarians), pesco-pollo-vegetarians, flexitarians, semi-vegetarians, etc. are NOT any kind of vegetarian. These terms are oxymorons. Either you eat animal flesh (beef, poultry, pork, fish) or you don't.

The only types of vegetarians are vegans (those who consume no animal products), ovo-lacto vegetarians (those who consume eggs and dairy, but no animal flesh), lacto-vegetarians (dairy, but no eggs or animal flesh) and ovo-vegetarians (eggs, but no dairy or animal flesh).

when i was a veggie type i did, a little. but it bothered me so i stopped eating them. it's all up to you, man. good luck with the veggie thing! mine only lasted 3 years...lol