Why do so many people misspell "deactivate" as "desactivate"?

Where does "desactivate" come from? Anybody know the etymology? I used to have a coworker who used that in our code, but we fired him before I had a chance to ask him why he spelled it that way. I Googled "desactivate" and there are tens of thousands of hits, but I could find no explanations.... show more Where does "desactivate" come from? Anybody know the etymology? I used to have a coworker who used that in our code, but we fired him before I had a chance to ask him why he spelled it that way. I Googled "desactivate" and there are tens of thousands of hits, but I could find no explanations. Is it British or something? I think it'd show up in a dictionary if it were.
Update: I don't know about you, but I don't hear any "s" in deactivate, so sounding it out doesn't seem right. Also, there is no word "disactivate" and "disactivate" has less google hits than "desactivate" does.