As we get older, do our noses increase in size, and our ears get floppier?

I've always had a large nose, but my ears, as I've aged, don't seem to stick out as far as they used to. However, not too long ago, I looked at a picture of myself when I was 12 years old, and my ears were quite large in comparison to the size of my pointy little head; and they stuck out. But then I noticed that the other kids in my 6th grade class seemed to have the same feature; that was many, many years ago. I think this is a highly significant discovery, don't you?

Of course, that was during the times of the nuclear bomb tests.

I look forward to flapping my ears in flight, Ed, and blowing my big nose for propulsion.

Edain, I'd get that-there, whatch-ya-callit, checked out, if I were you. Sounds problematic.

Best Answer

I only know that it now takes me twice as long to look half as good.

Your ears will not get much larger but they do and the lobes sag and believe it or not hair loss and syle makes a difference of how noticable it is. We also lose height and our feet get bigger, this isn't because they are growing it is the break down in tissue and ligaments and wear and tear on the bones. Your foot has just as other parts do spread out. My father had ears like the handles on a jug, they never changed but as he got older and they did increase a small amount he started calling himself Dumbo. The same thing happens with the nose. Our family has a bit of a ball on the end and as age gets to you it sags and reshapes it's self, I am not looking forward to that. I don't know how significant I would consider the discovery that all parts of us age and fall apart, sag, droop, enlarge and in general let us down but if you would like to considerate it so, then so be it.

Nose and ears are made of cartilage, which does not stop growing like our bones do, so they are larger than in our youth. Also, facial muscles sag with age, and faces can look more drawn or thinner, making the nose and ears appear larger. Also, are you still wearing the same hairstyle as you did when you were 12?

• RT 66

Haven't had that problem, yet ... I'm hoping it's a man thing ... I've got enough other issues without worrying about the ears and nose, too ... boy, this aging thingy is getting more complicated everyday!

I love older people and you are right. You the nose and the ears get larger and another observation is on men...you lose the hair on top and it grows out your ears, nose and eyebrows go crazy. And on women we lose most of our hair on our legs "FINALLY after years of shaving" but the hair resurfaces on the upper lip and chin. Man I'm not looking forward to growing old.

Here's how I figured it out. Our faces fall a bit which makes our nose look bigger and when your face falls it drags the ears down with it. I think my feet got a size bigger and I got an inch shorter too.

When we are born, our eyes are the size they will stay for the rest of our lives. But the nose and ears continue to grow each year. It happens to everyone, not to worry.

• dora

I used to worry that my ears stuck out, especially when wearing pony tales was all the rage. Now, my face is so fat and wide, that my ears are much harder to see. Kind of a left-handed improvement.

Yes that is true, and everything you have heads south, you even drop in height.

O' all the wonderful things we will be looking

forward to, some of us will even get a humph are you going to welcome old age.?

Well I am not, wouldn't it be nice to stay at the age you had the best fun at.

Have a star for a good question.

Yep, the cartilage keeps growing in our noses and ears. Look at retirement age people and up: one of the characteristics you see in all of them is larger ears and noses than in younger people.

It happens as we go bald it seems like. Plus, new hair growth takes place on and in the ears.