Anonymous

Why are people on here always changing the definition of racism???

Racism in the dictionary is defined as:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

This means anyone of a race whether black, white can be racist. So why do some disagree???

Favorite Answer

1. "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others." -

Race was a social construct invented by white people. They invented this and socially constructed it to convince themselves and everyone else that we're all fundamentally different. This is an exercise of power because it is a concept that has become part of our perception of reality and white people declared it when they dominated and subjugated the hole globe to give it some form of legitimacy.

So this definition (no.1) has only been practiced by the people that have classified themselves as white since we have submitted to this concept.

2. "a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination." -

Again another exercise of power based upon Racism. In the States this can be only practiced by white people since they dominate all the institutions in this country.

Example: Jim crow etc...

3. "hatred or intolerance of another race or other races." -

This definition (no. 3) doesn't require the support of power to practice. This indicates that any race can be a racist if they dislike or have a degree of intolerance towards another race. I oppose this because from my studies the correct word for this is prejudice. Not racism, because it is a system of cultural sanctioned beliefs (an ideology), not having hatred and or intolerance toward another race. Being consumed with hatred or intolerance is a psychological reaction (a human trait) that emerges out of expressing animosity, anger, and hostility from reasoning or knowledge. That is not an ideology, so anyone of intelligence will understand that this is an apparent contraction.

• I agree that anyone can be racist. That being said, somewhere along the way institutionalized racism became synonymous with racism. Meaning, the definition changed for some to include an element of power; this belief negates the ability of other races to be racist in the United States since it is still 73% white and white culture (for lack of a better word because white is not a culture) is still dominant. Per this definition, other races can still be racist in countries where their cultures are dominant. An example would be Zimbabwe or South Africa. In those countries, blacks could be racist against whites because blacks have been gaining more power and the governments are predominantly black.

As I said, I think that any race can be racist. That being said, language evolves and changes over time and the dictionary definition often does not include modern day connotations and vernacular meanings.

• Closed

I agree anyone can be racist. Racism isn't determine by your race or genes but your actions and and the way you view others.

I don't know whats with the people who say "our race can't be racist because...", that is false, if you hate another race then it is racist, if you think your race is superior then once again.

But still the majority of racists in America are still Whites. (sure give me a thumbs down but it's true)

El B, don't be mad at my conclusion, just check the statistics and look around you. You seem to be altering the definition just because of my last sentence. I don't have anything against all Whites geez, I just stated a fact considering they are the majority so they will have more of this and that. duh

I do agree that there are racists in ALL races, yet Ive heard some people say ONLY whites can be racist which isnt true AT ALL.

Source(s): Black Babe

You forgot this definition:

a racist is when someone is winning a debate with a liberal about social issues and that loser has no good rebuttle and thus tries to dismiss that other person as being racist and therefore a bad person.

• SINDY

Yes, I agree with you. But people continue to go back & forth about it. Personally, I think they're intent on arguing about it because they just don't like "their own" being called racist. It's a dirty little word that no one wants.

True Racism is when you are held down from ever succedding in life because of your race. The majority of people stereotype, its not racism

they disagree in hopes that people wont pin the label of racist on them.

moon watcher above. is clearly a racist by his own definition