I am trying to buy a single family home but have bad credit and no down payment?

My wife and I have bad credit we both work full time jobs but dont have money for a down payment.My husband makes $16.00 hr and I make $9.00 hr we also receive 574.00 in SSI for our son. but because of past hard times and our low credit scores we keep getting denied. I hate to keep applying and get turned down because I recently was informed that every time you apply for credit and get denied it lowers your score, by not knowing this previously and applying for credit I we caused my husbands score to drop under 500. We are hard working people looking for our chance to own a home. We were suppose to do a land contract with our current land lord after 2 yrs. and unfortunatly they have decided to not sell and actualy increased our rent from 600.month to 700. a month. Not to mention we have invested money here by putting up a pfivacy fense painting the outside of the house completly repainted the front porch and was getting to paint the rest of the rooms.We realy need help.

Best Answer

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but until that score gets above a 580 you won't find financing anywhere. And even with that you'll only qualify for FHA so you'll have to make sure your recent 2 year history is clean and you'll need a down payment. Wait for your credit to improve save some money and try again in 2 years. And just so you know in the future all credit inquiries for a mortgage within 30 days count as one inquiry so they each don't negatively affect your credit. The credit bureaus realize that people shop for such a large purchase and changed this policy a few years ago.

Source(s): mortgage broker

You should go talk to a loan broker rather then a bank - they can usually work around credit problems. You can probably do an FHA loan (they usually don't require super high credit scores) and ask your seller to pay closing costs or down payment assistance. FHA usually requires some money down but there are programs where the seller can help you. Considering the real estate market a lot of sellers are ready to sell and most would be willing to help with closing costs. You should find a realtor and see if they have any contacts in the lending business as most do. Just be careful - if you are having problems paying rent remember that mortgages are more set in stone then rent and harder to get out of if you have a problem with finances. And don't try to apply for credit cards or anything of the sort, it does ding your credit. Good Luck to you

Source(s): Escrow Officer
  • Kendra

Yeah look into renting a home with a purchase option. I'm not sure exactly how it works but a lot of owners will let you rent the house untill you get your credit in good standing and then you can begin the purchase process. The economy is in bad shape right now so it's unlikely that you'll get a home loan with your current income and credit standing. Just rent a house with ample space and create a plan for getting your credit back on track with in the next 2 years and stick to it. If you have the money, then pay off the truck because at least it will be off of your credit report sooner than later. Good luck with the baby and renting isn't that bad untill you get everything straightened out.

• Rachel

Unfortunately, I think that your only option right now is time. You will need time to save up money, repair your credit and possibly get raises. Try creating a separate savings account where you set aside as much extra money as you can each month to go toward the down payment. It is really hard to buy a house right now without a downpayment or good credit (as you obviously have found out), so with time the market might turn around and make it easier for buyers to get financing. Sorry; probably not the answer you were looking for.

Without putting 20% down, you need to get your scores above 550.

FHA is the loosest lender (creditwise) that will allow no $ down situations. Their minimum FICO is 550 (this is changing soon to 620).

A mortgage professional can help you get your credit back in order (open new credit accounts to pull scores up, directed disputes to eliminate errors on credit, etc).

I have about 2 dozen people working on their credit so they can buy a house and grow in wealth. They are all taking good advice and will soon be able to take advantage of these LOW home prices.

Best of luck to you!

Source(s): Mortgage professional.

You should wait. Spend the next couple of years improving your credit rating and saving for the down payment that you need to have. Down payments are usually a minimum of 10%. With low credit rating most financiers will ask for 20%. Jumping into something that you are not financially able to manage will only put you in the statistics with the many other foolish people that are having their houses foreclosed for getting in over their heads.

• Have you thought about buying a 2 or 3 family home? My first house was a 2 family. I was young, not making much, and starting my own business. I paid 80K and received sellers concessions. The first thing I did was fix up the rental unit (paint, new bath fixtures, and drywall the kitchen ceiling). It was inexpensive. Then I asked for $650 in rent and had a line of applicants because the place looked sweet. I lived there for very little, and after fixing the rest up sold the house for double what I paid.

Depends on where you live, but your income would likely qualify for government grants. My city has a group of business volunteers who teach people how to manage their finances and build wealth. Find out where to go, and maybe they can help you repair your score.

• Pengy

So with a total income of just under 59K you cannot pay your bills on time, pay down your credit and save some up for a down payment and closing? Sorry to say until you take care of the above you will not be able to purchase with todays credit market.

First of all, let your landlord pay to upkeep the house. It is his house and his responsibility to maintain it. Keep it clean and maintain it in the current condition. He probably wants to keep the house now so look for another house to purchase. Begin a plan to pay-off accounts and lower your total overall debt. Lenders look at your debt ratio when lending money and your ability to re-pay when granting loans. For example, if you have $10,000 in total credit but, have used $9,000 of that credit you are close to 'maxed out' and therefore, probably not a good candidate for receiving a loan. On the other hand, if you have $10,000 in total credit but, have used $1,000 of that credit or about 10% of your available credit you have flexibility in your finances and probably a good candidate for a loan.

When you open up a credit account, your credit score will increase by around 15 points or thereabouts. Find a credit card company designed for customers with lower scores that enable you to increase your credit scores. See the link below for secured cards.

If you have any small past due or late accounts, pay them off first. It will take time for your credit score to improve after starting a program to increase your score.

Lenders also look at your debt to income ratio, "What you earn versus what you owe will determine how much you are able to borrow. This is known as the debt-to-income ratio, and conservative 36% debt-to-income ratio is used for prequalification. However, excellent credit patterns, job stability and substantial assets may allow for a higher debt-to-income ratio."

Pay down debt, pay off accounts and save as much as possible.

If you have a down payment on a house that is less than 20% you will need to purchase property mortgage insurance which adds to your mortgage payment.

There is no simple answer solution to your situation without knowing all the details. Be frugal in your spending, save as much as possible every month, pay off debts and look to reduce any monthly expenses such as: rent, auto expenses, utility charges and non-necessary incidentals. Good luck.

Check with your City Government to find out if they have a programs to help first time home buyers. Check with HUD to see if they have a program to help you. A home owner who wants to sell their home bad enough might loan you the money to make the down payment. That's how I purcahsed my first home...the seller loaned my wife and I the down payment. Our credit was not good. Good luck!!! Smile!!!