Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Dying hair at salon?

My hair is a golden blonde and I want it dyed to a lighter blonde. Is dying the same as bleeching? How long does it take? And once I get it done how often does it have to be retouched? And any other tips would be helpful, Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Dying your hair and bleaching it are two different chemical processes. Dying deposits color molecules into each hair strand, therefore changing the color of your hair. Bleaching strips your hair of color molecules, therefore making hair lighter in color.

Now, to answer your question if dye would work. No, if you have ever colored the hair that you now have. Yes, if your hair is virgin and has never had color or bleach put on it. Color, or dye will lift natural hair up to 2 to 3 levels lighter. There is also a high lift color that would lift virgin hair even lighter.

As far as touch ups, every 4 to 6 weeks. They only need to touch up the outgrowth. And once every 3 to 4 touch ups, have them run the color thru about the last 10 minutes of processing, it will freshen your color up. Just do not do it every time. Good luck!

Source(s): I'm a stylist

When you color your hair that means you're going darker...Lightening (bleach) means you're going blonder

It shouldnt take very long considering you're already blonde. And one you get it done you'll have to get retouches every 4-6 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows. Retouches don't take very long at all....And ALWAYS make sure the person is doing a RETOUCH which is on ur newgrowth (roots) only! Unless ur unsatisfied with the blonde....I had a hair dresser who pulled the lightener through each time and my hair started to break off in big hunks! You have to be very very careful.

For people who are naturally blonde and just want some highlights I actually lift their roots with color.

Hope it all works out for you!

Source(s): I'm a Paul Mitchell hairdresser

Dying is when you add color with or without bleaching. Bleaching is when you use bleach to lighten your hair only. You would get your retouch every 4-6 wks no sooner or its damaging no matter how bad your roots look. Bleaching can take anywhere from 15-60 min depending on the strength of the bleach and if you have chemicals in your hair. If your hair is natural it takes longer to bleach or dye. Once you get your hair colored or bleached buy a good salon quality shampoo and conditioner for chemically treated hair.

Source(s): Hairstylist

i'm exactly the same! i have a bleech in my hair and a honey colour (highlights) and if ur hair is already blonde then u don't need it touched up too often.

bleaching strips the hair of its pigment so it will be more blonde. coloring is adding pigment to the hair. sometimes you have to bleach hair 1st because the color wont show up on darker hair.

bleching is not like dying bleching kills your hair and depends on how your fast your hair grows for touching up

if its fast then like every 2 weeks

if slow like every month