I want to adopt my niece & nephew from Mexico to the USA. How do I start and where do I go?

8 Answers

  • Lori K
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You must comply with both Mexican and US law to do this as this falls under some international adoption agreements.

    The State System for the Full Development of the Family (Desarrollo Integral de la Familia, or DIF) is a government institution in each Mexican state that handles family matters. The DIF acts as the legal representative for abandoned children and provides foster care for abused or orphaned minors. Children who are abandoned or orphaned can be given up for adoption by the DIF. The DIF and the Mexican Foreign Relations are assigned responsibility to study each child’s eligibility for international adoption and arrange adoptions. The DIF determines whether a family would be suitable for a particular child by ensuring that a home study has been done. The DIF makes every effort to place children with relatives or Mexican citizens living in Mexico before placing children for inter-country adoption.

    A list of DIF offices and their contact information can be at: http://www.dif.gob.mx/directorio.htm. Inquiries must be made in the Spanish language. If written inquiries are in English they must be accompanied by a translation.

    ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ADOPTIVE PARENTS: Prospective adoptive parents may be married or single, male or female. They must be over twenty-five years of age, possess good moral character, and demonstrate the means to care for the physical and educational needs of the child. The prospective adoptive parents must be at least seventeen years older than the child. If the prospective adoptive parents are married, however, only one parent must meet the age requirement. If the child is over fourteen years of age, he or she must consent to the adoption.

    Note: While similar, each Mexican state does have its own civil code governing adoptions. Therefore, it is important to check with each state, as the laws among states will vary.

    RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Mexican adoption procedures include a one to three week pre-adoption trial period during which the child lives with the prospective adoptive parents in Mexico . The adoption is not final until this time, and the child cannot leave Mexico before it is complete. Because of the large amount of paperwork in both the Mexican and U.S. processes, DIF suggests that the adoptive parents be prepared to spend at least three months in Mexico including the pre-adoption trial period.

    TIME FRAME: The general time frame for adoptions in Mexico is from three to eight months, but varies from state to state. Again, prospective adoptive parents should check with the state where the adoption will take place.

    ADOPTION AGENCIES AND ATTORNEYS: Prospective adoptive parents are advised to fully research any adoption agency or facilitator they plan to use for adoption services. For U.S.-based agencies, it is suggested that prospective adoptive parents contact the Better Business Bureau and/or the licensing authority in the U.S. state where the agency is located or licensed. Please also see Important Notice Regarding Adoption Agents and Facilitators at the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs web site travel.state.gov .

    Because Mexico is a Convention country, adoption services must be provided by an accredited agency, temporarily accredited agency, approved person, supervised provider, or exempted provider. These terms are defined in 22 CFR Part 96 and explained in the Department’s website Brochure for Prospective Adoptive Parent(s) . For purposes of this document, accredited agencies, temporarily accredited agencies, and approved persons are referred to with the shorthand term “accredited adoption service providers.”

    It is essential that prospective adoptive parent(s) seeking to adopt from a Convention country use an accredited adoption service provider. The Department maintains a current list of accredited adoption service providers . The list of accredited adoption service providers is also provided on the website of the Hague Permanent Bureau at www.hcch.net.

    ADOPTION FEES IN MEXICO : DIF charges approximately $250.00 USD for adoption services but costs vary state-by-state. Generally, the fees include all applicable taxes. The DIF office also has its own lawyers and their services are also included in that same fee. Using an attorney/agency for DIF adoptions is optional for the prospective adoptive parents.

    The U.S. Embassy in Mexico discourages the payment of any fees that are not properly receipted, “donations,” or “expediting” fees, that may be requested from prospective adoptive parents. Such fees have the appearance of “buying” a baby and put all future adoptions in Mexico at risk.

    ADOPTION PROCEDURES IN MEXICO: Prospective adoptive parents should contact DIF in the state where the adoption will take place because procedures can vary by state. The U.S. Embassy has provided the following as general information regarding adoptions procedures through DIF:

    * The prospective adoptive parents or the adoption agency sends the required documents to DIF.

    * DIF reviews the documents.

    * DIF’s Technical Councils on Adoptions meets.

    * The prospective adoptive parents’ names are added to a waiting list.

    * DIF authorities meet to assign the minor to the prospective adoptive parents.

    * DIF sends a letter to the prospective adoptive parents or to the adoption agency, informing them that the application for adoption has been approved. All possible information on the child is mailed to the prospective adoptive parents and, if the prospective adoptive parents agree with the child assigned, they send a letter to DIF instructing them to continue with the adoption process.

    * The prospective adoptive parents and DIF coordinate a meeting to introduce the child and the prospective adoptive parents. Mexican adoption procedures include a one to three week pre-adoption trial period during which the child lives with the prospective adoptive parents in Mexico .

    * Judicial proceedings occur in Mexico depending on the laws of the state.

    * The child is registered.

    * The adoptive parents request a Mexican passport for the child. Information about obtaining a Mexican passport is available at www.sre.gob/passports.

    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ADOPTION IN MEXICO : Prospective adoptive parents should have the following:

    * Certified copy of prospective adoptive parent’s birth certificate or a U.S. passport as proof of U.S. citizenship;

    * Certified copy of marriage certificate, if applicable;

    * A statement from the employer of the prospective parent who is the primary supporter of the family. This statement must indicate the position, years of service with the employer, and salary;

    * Copy of the most recent bank statement or other evidence of financial holdings as proof of financial solvency;

    * Two letters of recommendation from people who can attest to the character of the adoptive parents. A married couple should obtain letters from persons who have known them as a married couple. Each letter should include the address and telephone number of the person writing the letter;

    * Certificate from the state police from the prospective adoptive parent’s state of residence in the U.S. verifying that the adoptive parents have no police record; The FBI fingerprint check for the I-600A fulfills this requirement.

    * A copy of a social, economic, and psychological study of the parent’s home situation conducted by an agency of the state of the child’s proposed residence, or an agency authorized by that state to conduct such a study, and or by an appropriate public or private adoption agency licensed in the United States . The home study conducted for the I-600A fulfills this requirement.

    * One 3x3-inch color photograph of each prospective adoptive parent.

    * Two 3x5-inch photographs of the prospective adoptive parents in their home or on a family outing.

    All documentation listed above must be apostilled by the Secretary of State of the U.S. state of origin of the document, translated into Spanish by an official translator of the Mexican Consulate nearest to the prospective adoptive parents’ place of residence in the United States . When all the documents have been assembled, they should be sent to the person or organization in Mexico acting as the adoption agent/representative for presentation to the Mexican court.

    The Mexican Foreign Ministry, the Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE), requires that a Mexican passport be issued to the child in the child’s new name after the adoption proceedings are completed. Passports issued to a child prior to the final decree of adoption are not valid for travel purposes under the new identity of the child. In order to obtain information on how to obtain the child’s new passport, please visit the following web site www.sre.gob/passports.

    AUTHENTICATING U.S. DOCUMENTS TO BE USED ABROAD: For more information on authenticating U.S. documents to be used abroad, please see the Judicial Assistance section of our website.


    Embassy of Mexico

    Consular Section

    2827 16th Street, NW

    Washington, D.C. 20009-4260

    Tel: (202) 736-1000

    Mexico also has Consulates General in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, El Paso, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, and Hato Rey, Puerto Rico. Additional information about Mexican consulates in the United States is available at: www.sre.gob.mex.

    U.S. IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS: As of April 1, 2008, U.S. citizens wishing to adopt in a Convention country must begin the process by filing with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) a form I-800A Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country. Prospective adoptive parents are st

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Ok I went through the same thing you did but not as many kids. My nephew was 12 at the time, and my sister in law lost him because of drugs. Now the sad thing is that the state took him away and sent him to my Aunt. She literrally did nothing for him and was collecting the money and the social worker called us and we took him in. Now I already have a daughter and two boys one of the boys is Autistic. I have my hands full. And my nephew is now 15 he is still with us and let me tell you it is not easy. But now to your question, I don't think that you are being selfish at all. This is a big life change if you decide to take on the challange. The one thing that I think that you need to do that I did not do was to ask other family members if you were to take the children if they would help you out in anyway possible. Or ask any other family members if they would be interested in taking them. You also need to think of how the kids would be if you were constantly stressed out. It may be a bad situation. But I will tell you one thing that if you take these children there are so many groups that you can talk to on the phone, online, and in person. I hope that I am making sense. Bottom line you are not a selfish you know what. This is simply a problem that is not your fault or the kids but your selfish sister. And the even sadder thing is that I don't know your sister, but if she is anything like my sister in law she is so lost in her own world that she will not show any appreciation what so ever. But the main thing that you need to think about right now is what is right for those kiddies. If you think that they need to go somewhere else then so be it. If you get any flack from any of your family members then tell them to step up. This is your life too. I hope that I have made sense I could go on and on about this one if you want to contact me feel free and I can tell you more. I will be more than happy to be a shoulder to cry on. I hope things work out and I will keep you in my prayers.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

    Adopting A Nephew

    • Login to reply the answers
  • cheryl
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Howdy! Someone in my twitter feed shared this question so I came to check it out. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • start with Social Services and/or the Office of Naturalization.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Need more details before I can give answer

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Don't do it. There are already way too many Mexicans in U.S.A.

    • That is very rude! They are humans just like us!!!!!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • chung
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    thanks everyone for the answers!

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.